Search Unity

Resolved Will DLSS be available for URP?

Discussion in 'SRP Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A' started by hum642tic144, Sep 29, 2022.

1. hum642tic144

hum642tic144

I would like to see DLSS in URP
    For instance, I use URP for programming VR games that are highly demanding so I can't make them with HDRP.

jeromeWork and moo1210 like this.
  2. ali_mohebali

ali_mohebali

Unity Technologies

We don't plan to support DLSS in URP at this point and it's not in our roadmap for at least the 23 versions. We would love to support different techniques in URP but our first priority at the moment for URP is functionality completeness with techniques that can scale across different hardware.

3. Matjio

Matjio

Unity Technologies

Hi!
    Are you targeting PC VR or standalone VR (eg: Quest)?
    For PCVR, HDRP is actually pretty strong at handling demanding graphics since it offloads a lot of the work to GPU, leverage DLSS or TAA Upscale, and things like cache shadows to save perf. CPU is usually the bottleneck.
    Check this one for example:

hum642tic144 and moo1210 like this.
  4. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

We could really do with more guidance on making this happen. I've seen https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...es.high-definition@7.1/manual/VR-in-HDRP.html but that's pretty light on details. What the ArchVizPro team do is amazing but they obviously have a lot of experience and knowledge on the precise settings needed. It's a black art that's hard to get info on. (Also it really is just for modern high end PCs. Even with their excellent demos I can't hit 90fps on a GTX1080ti PC, or RTX2080 laptop)
    As a heads up, when I recently tried to suggest on reddit that HDRP can be used in VR I was massively downvoted. The common understanding seems to be that "HDRP is not made for VR, its made for film production and high level graphic games"

moo1210 likes this.
  5. hum642tic144

hum642tic144

I will take a look to that.
    Thanks!

6. Kevin-VFX

Kevin-VFX

Oh look. More techniques that scale across hardware. Will we have a proper upscaler now?
    https://community.amd.com/t5/gaming...ution-2-1-out-now-even-more-fsr-2/ba-p/544170

goncalo-vasconcelos likes this.
  7. bluescrn

bluescrn

IMHO, upscaling features should be independent of render pipeline.

'HDRP-only' features should be limited to things that are fundamentally different in HDRP, such as lighting.

Postprocessing, upscaling, and antialiasing features (TAA) shouldn't have to be tied to a render pipeline, nor implemented multiple times to support multiple pipelines.

(Yes, some features require specific inputs such as motion vectors or a depth texture - but those now all exist in URP and the standard pipeline, don't they?)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    mishakozlov74, Peter77, sdb7 and 4 others like this.
  8. HarvesteR

HarvesteR

Could not agree more. This is the sort of idiotic thing that has me very frustrated with unity in recent years. The scriptable pipelines caused a massive userbase split, and they continue to push them apart with pipeline-specific additions like this.

It's NOT ok for basic level functionality like this to be selectively available. Unity management really needs a twitter-grade shake up.

m_hakozaki, MagiJedi and kripto289 like this.
  9. sdb7

sdb7

my case is using built-in rendering to drive larger than 4K screen...