Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Will dark theme be ever available for free?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unity_qVcVUUYUTy628A, Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unity_qVcVUUYUTy628A

unity_qVcVUUYUTy628A

Hello,
    I know the Unity is recently introducing many changes, so I want to ask, will the Dark Theme be available for free? I have strong photophobia and I can't do anything when screen is bright (I just can't see at all) so I have my Windows settings personalized to black, but Windows settings does not apply to Unity, it works for other programs (even internet browsers), but Unity remains white.
    Do you know anything about free dark theme in future?

Maxb0tbeep likes this.
  2. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

There is an asset hanging around which will redo the theme for you.

3. Ryiah

Ryiah

It's basically non-functional for the latest releases of Unity. Modifying it to work with the latest releases is apparently easy enough but the author has mention he hasn't received much of a response from the community leading him to believe no one cared about it.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/zios-editor-theme-support.411818/

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Kiwasi likes this.
  4. BrewNCode

BrewNCode

rumors say that devs only pay Unity Plus just for the black theme. o_O

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Mostly its the splash screen.

The first thing I did when I went to plus was turn off the dark theme. It looks horrible.

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

We used to have threads posted in this section quite often asking for the dark theme... and then Unity Plus came out and this is one of the first I've seen in months (if not years).

Joe-Censored and Kiwasi like this.
  7. unity_qVcVUUYUTy628A

unity_qVcVUUYUTy628A

Thank you for feedback.
    Personally I find it kinda "inteligence insulting" to make ppl pay for window background color :S
    Unity Team seems to be quite openminded so I believe sooner or later themes will become standard.

Walter_Hulsebos likes this.
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's nothing to do with "intelligence", Unity isn't a charity.. If they stop earning revenue they can't afford to pay people and the engine falls into collapse, I understand it can be a bit annoying in fringe cases but think of it this way.. They don't even have to give you a free version of Unity.!

They have to charge for something, no matter how silly it is.. Like paywalling based on your own company's reputation, it's an interesting concept but hey if it works for them kudos.!

Kiwasi likes this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

Did you know unlicensed copies of Windows 10 won't let you change any appearance settings?

I'm inclined to believe the skinning system was never more than an afterthought. We're seeing them bring improved support for different DPI settings so it's entirely possible we may see them improve the themeing system and bring more themes to everyone. Selling additional themes on the store would make them some money too.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018
    Joe-Censored and iamthwee like this.
  10. Murgilod

Murgilod

Who honestly cares? You have feature parity everywhere else it matters.

Joe-Censored and Kiwasi like this.
  11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

People with strong photophobia, perhaps?

12. Murgilod

Murgilod

I feel like that's reaching. A lot.

13. iamthwee

iamthwee

Koberinha likes this.
  14. bart_the_13th

bart_the_13th

working with a darker ui can help reducing the strain to the eye..The same reason I reduce the brightness of my monitor and customize my monodevelop to have dark theme.
    That said, the amount of UI in the editor itself is not that much to strain your eyes compared to text editor background

15. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I use the dark theme because I live in a delusion you get better support when unity folks see screenshots from paying customers :D I like none darks themes otherwise :p

Only reason I pay for plus is the splash, though my studio makes more than 100k USD so I guess that's a reason too. I could get around it by creating a subsidiary since the game itself does currently not make 100k a year

16. Moonjump

Moonjump

It is the reason why the OP was asking, so it doesn't seem a reach at all, and is why angrypenguin mentioned it.

17. Frienbert

Frienbert

How is it not insulting to put something so basic behind a paywall? Only reason they made Unity free was because of competition from other engines. It is on the same level as the total war games charging money to add blood in to their games.

18. chingwa

chingwa

After years of paying for Unity pro licenses I loved the dark theme. Once they axed perpetual licenses and moved to subscription I actually considered paying for Plus just because of the dark theme. Briefly. I've gotten used to the bright free "theme" now, though I do wish I had the option to choose, 'cause I would immediately go back to dark. <shrug>

I find it kinda silly, but if people are willing to pay for it then I don't have a problem with Unity keeping it for their paid subscription plans. I want Unity to stick around... they gotta pay the bills somehow :D

Walter_Hulsebos and Kiwasi like this.
  19. Ostwind

Ostwind

It's not an essential feature but more like a perk just like pre-order skins or twitch prime member emotes for example ;)

Also Unity almost always had some sort of free version while the others did not.

20. unity_qVcVUUYUTy628A

unity_qVcVUUYUTy628A

I made this post to get some feedback and gather information, it is not reaching or something. I simply need dark theme and my eyes are the reason why. Anyway I don't feel like I demand impossible.
    I understand themes in asset store for $5 or something, but definitely not as Unity Plus payment.
    If it is just unimportant flaw like zooming in Animator - thats okay, but if it is premeditated way to make ppl pay for license - thats inteligence insulting trick like I said above.

21. verybinary

verybinary

I don't think its got anything to do with insulting intelligence, and I would +1 or even 2 or 3 for paid themes on the asset store. Opening up Unity is a smack in the face for someone with any kind of light sensitivity with everything else set as darker. I very doubt anyone gets paid Unity for the theme(at least I hope not) and the splash screen issue is very ok behind the paywall, as well as other stuff that currently isn't.
    Point is, I'm not fighting for free, but available without a subscription would be nice.

Ryiah likes this.
  22. Mauri

Mauri

Buy Unity Plus, then. Or use Zios as pointed out earlier.

That whole "Why not making the dark theme available for Free/Personal users?" discussion has been going on for years now - literally. It didn't happened and it likely won't happen in the future.

Maxb0tbeep and verybinary like this.
  23. verybinary

verybinary

I don't think the asset name was mentioned before, and I haven't gotten around to searching for it yet, so thank you.

24. Mauri

Mauri

25. zenGarden

zenGarden

If the only thing you want is a black them use UE4 or CryEngine and you'll got your black theme for free LOL

Kiwasi likes this.
  26. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

They are not going to make the theme settings free. They need to reserve at least a few things for their paying customers.

Maxb0tbeep likes this.
  27. verybinary

verybinary

I completely glossed over Ryiah's link, I read the text though.
    I will not be switching engines for just the theme, Im comfortable with Unitys flow, and "way of doing things"
    Im not expecting it to be made free, especially they made a major change with 5, making lots of paid features free(and they were actually beneficial extras)
    When all is said and done, my eyes get used to everything within a half hour unless I switch to another program for asset creation or whatever. Im not expecting anything, Im not hoping for anything, Im just here.

AlanMattano likes this.
  28. iamthwee

iamthwee

29. Frienbert

Frienbert

I don't know any other program that puts basic UI customization behind a paywall. It feels like a petty thing to do.

Maxb0tbeep likes this.
  30. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.