Search Unity

Will custom units of measurement for Timeline be a feature soon?

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by eidurgagarin, Dec 5, 2017.

1. eidurgagarin

eidurgagarin

Bit of context: We're creating an installation for a museum that features a story that is happening over hundreds of years.

We're using Timeline to trigger actions in our scene, and our team would like to be able to customize the unit of measurement from frames/seconds on the Unity Timeline to be years. Being able to change to the custom years setting would simplify the workflow for our design team.

TimelineSettingsCustom3.png
    Crudely drawn image for added context

There is an empty section in the Timeline Settings called Custom, which may have been meant for a purpose similar to this. Are custom units of measurement going to be a feature of Timeline or is some other work around possible?

eni_12 likes this.
  2. seant_unity

seant_unity

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, this is not on our immediate roadmap.

The 'custom' listed is for a custom framerate. You can edit that in the inspector of the timeline asset, but that is a custom fps, not a custom label.

We've had the request for to display in different formats, for example more music-oriented displays, but this is the first time I've seen a request that requires time itself to be remapped to a different scale - I'm assuming you don't want a timeline that is actually hundreds of years long! :)

It's an interesting request, and something we will take in to account. I can see this being completely useful for time-of-day implementations using timeline!

3. eidurgagarin

eidurgagarin

Thank you for your quick reply, hopefully this feature will reach the roadmap in the near future! We believe that it has great potential towards making Timeline even better.