Search Unity

Feedback Will AR Remoting be in MARS or in AR Foundation?

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by DonPepe, Jun 9, 2020.

1. DonPepe

DonPepe

Hey hey,

Unity AR developers are waiting for some time for AR Remoting (with a physical device into the Editor). At some point it was stated, this will come together with project MARS and it's companion App.

I haven't read about it in the blog post, so I guess it's not there yet?! But does that mean, that for AR Remoting I will have to subscribe to MARS?

Would be happy if this could be clarified.

Best, Jan

wickedwaring likes this.
  2. philc_unity

philc_unity

The AR Remote is a separate project (being built by the team that is responsible for AR Foundation), though we hope to incorporate AR Remote tech into the MARS mobile companion app at some point.

jbraam and DonPepe like this.
  3. DonPepe

DonPepe

Ok, this means we'll get it "for free" I guess =)
    Thanks for the clarification!

4. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

@DonPepe do bare in mind that the remote app is coming from the team that works on the AR Foundation project, not from the MARS project.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  5. Jon-at-Kaio

Jon-at-Kaio

What about the 'Streaming data from your device' that is mentioned in the docs when discussing the simulation view ?

6. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

I assume you are referring to this section here? https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...ts.html#synthetic-objects-and-simulation-view

This is indeed talking about upcoming remote and companion app functionality. We designed the MARS simulation view to be extensible and work with a number of data sources. We are currently developing Unity MARS companion apps which is capable of recording AR data for playback in the editor. Earlier in development, we validated the remote use case against the now discontinued AR remote alpha. When the AR Foundation remote is ready, we will update MARS to allow its use in the Simulation View.

jmunozarUTech likes this.
  7. Jon-at-Kaio

Jon-at-Kaio

You may want to update the docs, so ppl don't spend time looking for the feature when it's not available. (sorry if that sounds stroppy, not meant to, I'm just a little disappointed it's not in yet.)

8. mtschoen

mtschoen

Unity Technologies

I hear you. Remote data is an important way to reduce iteration times. We're hard at work getting these features online and in the meantime we want to make it clear that the simulation view is built for these use cases. If any of our current users are motivated enough, they can throw together their own remote app and data providers to accomplish this.

Hopefully, in the short term, users can find this forum post to clear up any confusion. We will consider revising or updating the documentation for clarity in our next release.

jmunozarUTech likes this.