Search Unity

will 4.2 support touch input in the editor for windows 8?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by pat_sommer, Jul 2, 2013.

1. pat_sommer

pat_sommer

hi,
    was wondering if there was any word if 4.2 will support touch input in the editor for windows 8 touch screen and tablets?

by this i mean touching in the inspector, opening menus, selecting/rotating/moving objects etc., not just in game view during play.

thanks! :p

2. pat_sommer

pat_sommer

hrm, tested on a co workers laptop and it seemed to work with 4.1.2, when i bought a surface awhile back it did not work and ended up returning the surface, was there an update for this already or could if have been the surface?

3. samosurface

samosurface

with the 4.2 its not working you need a mouse or the type / touch cover... :-(

4. Shbli

Shbli

I think pinch to zoom is there, but there's no rotation or 2 fingers panning, I do really wish there's a plugin or if this was really built in unity which can do smooth pinch to zoom, rotation and 2 fingers panning, then use 1 finger for selecting objects

Also, making things like GameObjects list, and components list and fields bigger for easier and more touch friendly feeling, just like how I can re-size my project folders to make the icons bigger.

The good thing is that even MonoDevelop does support pinch to zoom, again not really that smooth like metro apps but it works.

I'm subscribing to this thread and if there's any news I would love to see this thread updated!

5. GMM

GMM

Making Unity touch ready isn't just something they could do overnight, it would require an humongous restructure of the current interface to function in any meaningful way since the current inferface is designed at a specific resolution that doesn't really take screen sizes well into account, making it cumbersome to use the current interface in a great way with touch.

Also, wouldn't the Touch functionality in Windows 8 extend to Unity? Most legacy programs seem to be able to use basic mouse input as a form of support(not true touch).

6. Shbli

Shbli

I understand, not that using touchscreen for everything, this properly requires restructuring.

What is needed is something which makes level editing faster.

I guess adding pinch to zoom is not that difficult, in fact I tested it and it's available, it just isn't that smooth, I don't want them to make it super smooth, but little bit smoother, anyways it's fine now.

So now there's pinch to zoom, just let's add 2 finger rotate (If they have pinch to zoom already, I guess it's possible to add the 2 missing features)

As a bonus, they add the option to make the GameObjects list bigger, that's it.

I don't think that will require a huge restructuring and even may be achieved with an editor plugin.

7. Shbli

Shbli

Here's something interesting:

http://www.sceneviewtouch.com/

The could map this to actually "Windows 8" touch input instead of the remote app for example

8. iddqd

iddqd

Hi

I'm the developer of Scene View Touch.

I also work on a Surface Pro 2 and have often wished for Unity to support windows 8 touch input and more importantly proper DPI scaling without blurred text/icons (maybe i should create a feature request:)). At the moment you have to use a mouse as most clicks don't register. It's one of the few programs that don't properly work with touch out of the box.

However i don't think Scene View Touch is the full solution here as it only controls the Scene View. There are other programs that could be used for the rest, http://gestureworks.com/pages/gesturekey-home comes to mind - i have not yet tried this.

The first step would probably be to map a tap into a proper click so you can click the Icons and Menus, then to navigate the Scene View you could use Scene View Touch on a mobile device.

9. Shbli

Shbli

Thank you for the response, although that's not the case.

As I mentioned earlier, I have a vaio duo 13, and I can pinch to zoom with unity out of the box (Although unity does not work with Stylus that's not a big deal and that's not touch).

The idea I'm imaging is that if possible you instead of firing events sent from the touch remote app that controls the scene view fire the windows touch events.

I'm using Unity 4.3.3

10. iddqd

iddqd

Ok, i'll will look into attaching to the windows touch events :) But i can't promise anything at the moment.

I just installed the latest Unity on the Surface Pro 2 and it's still very difficult to get taps to register as clicks. And it's impossible to select a Menu via touch. So, tapping/selecting works fine on your vaio duo 13?

11. Shbli

Shbli

Yes it is, please check this short video I just created: http://sdrv.ms/1br27pz

12. iddqd

iddqd

Many thanks for the video. I'll have to do some more test with the Surface :)
    So yes, in your case you just need to touch movement for the scene view to work.

13. Shbli

Shbli

Great,

I wish you best of luck