Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Wicked problem!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CryingRaven, Jun 8, 2006.

1. CryingRaven

CryingRaven

Hi there

I have been stuck on this problemf or almost a day now and am COMPLETELY lost as to how this is even possible!!!!!

I made a few simple anims for a shape that I had just to see if I can get my models animated. The base shape is called Male and the rest are called male@idle1 and male@walk and male@climbrope etc

I placed the models in my project directory under a folder called tempMale and Unity saw and imported the models. Fine, but no animation. So I change the import settings and try again. Under no condition will any animation play. Not by placing the base player in the scene or one of the anim files directly.

So I go into Maya and I bake the animations on the skeleton level since my animations were done via a complex rig. I also delete all my LOD shapes since I cannot get Unity to display only 1 LOD. It just displays all of the models one on top of the other.

Here is the most incredible problem you will eve face:
    All the models are still there! Even after I deleted them from the .mb file, they still appear in Unity!!!!

So I rebuild the entire assets list and wait for about an hour while it loads everything. It still loads everything. I reopen the file in Maya and sure enough, the LOD models are not there. I then remove the model from my project directory and wait for Unity to see the models are no longer there.

After Unity updates to show the models are missing, I move back only the base shape (no animation files) and wait for Unity to find it again. Sure enough it finds it, and displays all the LOD again.

How does Unity display meshes that I deleted hours before. I did save the file. Heck, I even closed Maya and had te reopen it to test wether I did actually save the file and sure enough the LODs are missing from the .mb file but still present in Unity.

How is this possible?
    Is it placed into a prefab first time it was loaded and now Unity loads it from a prefab by name and not from file?
    How do I solve this problem?

2. CryingRaven

CryingRaven

There were 4 LODs. Now there is only 1, and yet look for yourself...
    C? :eek:

I am not CRAZY!?!?!? :roll:

Attached Files:

3. CryingRaven

CryingRaven

The last time I edited the file I messed up the one arm. As you can see in the pic, it is pinched in. this is from my last modification.

This means that it IS loading the new file. So back to the original question. Where does it get the previous model's LOD shapes from abd how do I prevent it from doing so????

I CAN simply delete the extra shapes once I have the model in the level, but WHY are they there and HOW does it get there?

4. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

I don't know but you can send me the maya file via report bug.app and i can take a look.

5. CryingRaven

CryingRaven

I am only sending the maya file as you requested. I see in the report bug app it asks for the project folder. Well, I currently have all my textures and models in the project dir so that is over 500MB. Only using like 5 or so at the moment, but they are all in there for when I need them so I cannot send the entire thing as requested.

I will see if I stil have the original copy of the file and send that as well if I can find it. I was under the impression that since the anim files and the base file would be linked, that if it found LODs in one of the files, it would copy them into the base so I deleted the LODs from all the anim files as well...

You are basically receiving a clean copy of the file so if you DO get the problem that I mentioned, then at least I will know the problem is somehow with the file...

Question: When I downloaded the app, it said 1.2.2.dmg but when I run it, it says unity 1.0.0. Could this be an old bug that you have already solved in the latest release and the only reason I am seeing this is because it is outdated software?

...Okay found it. Sending you the original files also...

6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Can't you just disable the game objects that contain the lod meshes in Unity?

Select the mesh, in the inspector click on the checkbox in the game object inspector.

7. CryingRaven

CryingRaven

which checkbox?

there is only one gameobject using this particular mesh and that is the player model so hiding it is not an option.

or do you mean a checkbox next to the lods?

to be honest, this was merely a test to see how to do anims. this particular model is so low poly that I have no worries in using only 1 lod. the real model I intend to use when done is another matter. I will definately need lod so i need to understand how unity handles lod and anims.

8. CryingRaven

CryingRaven

:? Someone kick me in the head and call me Susan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:oops: You guys are NOT going to believe what I did! Please don't set the hounds on me.....

The reason the LODs kept showing up and why my animation settings had absolutely no avail was because I kept using Mayas File->Open Recent command and I just descoverred today that I have been updating my backup copies every time and then expecting to see the result in the models located in my project folder.... :oops: :oops: :roll: :oops: :oops:

:oops: I mean, can you get any more stupid than that?!?!?!?!?!:oops:

Joachim, sorry for wasting your time with sending the bug report. It seems it had crawled into my head and was sitting in front of my eyes all this time.....

<P.s. I need another icon here. One where the smiley is falling to the ground with arms outstretched in a "oh great sultan. Forgive me please, oh greatness" fassion :p >

NOW I can finally get busy trying to get the anims to work....

...and now I can try and figure out how the arm got pinched. I was working on a differnt file so how did THAT happen... X-Files territory...

...erm... any chance of deleting this thread to save some of my dignity? lol

9. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

I think everyone here has done that more than once :wink:

10. CryingRaven

CryingRaven

At least that makes me feel a little better. I actually noticed this problem because of your reply to my other question. I went to get my original copies of the anims to place them next to the base shape since they were never baked.

I then realized that since I changed my originals in the backup folder, I am now stuck with all my anims being baked. Phoei! :evil: :x

11. jeremyace

jeremyace

lol I love it. If I had a dollar for every stupid mistake I have made...

Stupid mistakes are what makes this stuff an adventure!

-Jeremy

12. CryingRaven

CryingRaven

Only problem is that I am doing EVERYTHING so I wish sommething could just go right so I can finally make some progress... Le sigh...