Search Unity

Why you need to make backups. A cautionary tale of blame.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DaveyJJ, Oct 21, 2005.

1. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

OK, so I'm very jazzed that tomrrow, I'm replacing my current 12" 1.5GHz PowerBook with one of the new 17" 1.9GHz iMacs. Not only do I get a much faster processor, FSB, more RAM, much better video card with more RAM, iSight, etc, it'll run my favourite applications (Unity, Studio Artist and Painter IX) better and give me more screen real estate to do it in. Plus, for a extra few dollars difference between selling the PB and the new iMac I get a new Wacom tablet to replace a long-deceased ArtZ tablet. Hurray!

But my wife's hard drive in her iBook died last night. And the last back up of her iPhoto library and documents was three months ago. Her work is the least of her "issues" ... the 250 pictures she'd scanned from our photos in the last two weeks bother her. And the whole thing about me not listening to her about how bad the sounds were is probably the main.

Back up. Often. And listen to your wife.

Thank you.

2. robertseadog

robertseadog

I just bought it! im going for burning speed! :D

PS! Im feeling you David, does she work with photos for a living (then I really feel for you! and her of course! )?

3. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

There are only 2 kinds of people in this world. Those that have had a Hard Drive Crash, and those that will. I personally have had 2 or 3, and never had any easy way to backup. Take the word and spend the money on a backup system (even if its just a few External HD's) It's well worth the investment. Jeff

4. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Thanks, Robert. She's a brilliant writer/editor but had scanned in a few hundred photos of our lives together that we didn't have digitally. All gone now. I'll have to rescan them.

On my way downtown Toronto now to: a) get a new hard drive put in the iBook, and b) pick up my new iMac.

5. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Just a trick Davy JJ. Stick the old Hard Drive in the Freezer for a while then let it thaw out and try it out again. If its a hardware problem this can sometimes get it running again for long enough to do a backup. Enjoy your new iMac! Jeff