Search Unity

Why when you disable then re-enable the same game object the animation is restarted?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by BenoitFreslon, Sep 16, 2015.

1. BenoitFreslon

BenoitFreslon

Hello,

I create a simple project and the put one animated (Unity Animation) cube If I disable the Cube the animation is paused in the Animator but If i re-enable the GameObject the animation restart from the beginning.

I want to pause the current animation & hide the gameobject then resume the same animation.

Thanks.

Donwload the unitypackage:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34379764/Animation_restart.unitypackage

2. TonyLi

TonyLi

Yes, when you disable an Animation component, it releases its memory. When it gets re-enabled, it restarts everything. You'll have to save the state on your own and then resume that state right after re-enabling the Animator.

3. Trigve

Trigve

I find this behavior counter-intuitive. If I wanted to release the memory I would delete the game object. How should one disable object temporarily without some hacks?

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

Mecanim.Dev wrote more about it in this post and this post. In the second link, another user posted a wrapper script that helps address this.

5. Trigve

Trigve

Thanks for the links. So I'm not the only one :) But it looks like they're going to support "persistent" state in the future.

6. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

You could also just disable the mesh renderer component on the cube game object without disabling the entire cube. ( I think). Basically the cube keeps spinning, but is now invisible.