Search Unity

Why was my thread deleted instead of moved?

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by davidmcasas, May 27, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidmcasas

davidmcasas

Yesterday I created a new thread asking a support type question.
    It should had gone under "Editor & General Support" subforum, but I mistakenly created it under "General Discussion" subforum.
    Today I found my thread deleted with reason "Wrong forum".

Why would you delete the thread instead of just moving it to the right forum?

"The Unity community is a friendly place for you to ask questions", that is written in the Code of Conduct page, but so far the forum has been everything but friendly to me.

It feels like I was asking something that exposed the poor quality of the latest versions of the Unity editor, and somebody didn't like that.

2. davidmcasas

davidmcasas

Thanks CodeSmile, this is exactly what I was looking for. The name "Interaction Mode" is not descriptive enough and I totally overlooked it. Setting it to Monitor Refresh Rate, which in my case is 13ms (75hz) saves a lot of GPU. I believe this should be the default mode.

I apologize for creating the thread in the wrong forum.

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

Regarding OP question, here is possible reason why thread has been removed rather moved.

- Thread was not in support forum.
    - You are member at least since 2020 so you should know forum rules by now.
    - Some people post purposily in General, to get more attention. That creates additional noise.
    - Lasines and abusing forum section are not welcome.
    - There is only bunch of forum moderators and seems to even fewer than year or two years ago.
    - At least same amount of work to moderate since.
    - Unpaid forum moderating position.
    - Value of moderators time.
    - I am not surprised, if moderator basically mark thread as wrong place, as been reported perhaps by others. And to save their own time, simply delete. As moving and evaluating may be more time consuming.

4. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

The more important question is why would you post it in the wrong forum that is clearly labeled that it isn't forum support?

When people don't take the time/effort (seconds really) to read the forum description and post in the proper area, instead just dumping in general, (and there have been no replies), it is deleted. Now you understand, and will take the time read available information (a critical skill in making games).

Given the amount of posts that need to be dealt with, spam, rules violations, random other stuff, we don't really have time to move posts around when folks that didn't take the time read the forum descriptions. Additionally, now that you know that your posts will be deleted if you don't take the care place them properly, you are unlikely to do it again. Learning! It is a win for everyone.

Ryiah, Lurking-Ninja and Antypodish like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.