Search Unity

Why video upload not allowed to forum?

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by filibis, Aug 3, 2017.

1. filibis

filibis

I don't understand the reason why we can't upload videos to forum while we can upload 'heavy' gifs. As far as i know mp4 file format can be compressed more & better than .gif formats.
    So, why video uploading to forum is not allowed?

Also it'll be great if you tell/warn users about the size limit prior to uploading and not give an error afterwards.

---

Please don't say "You can use Youtube and add link to here", because you can do the same with .gifs (such as via https://giphy.com )

Murgilod likes this.
  2. Murgilod

Murgilod

I have to agree. The bandwidth issues that could be cited are kinda easily overshadowed by the fact that GIF files compress about as well as a pile of bricks.

filibis likes this.
  3. Buhlaine

Buhlaine

Community Manager

Is there anything holding you back from using media tags to show the video content you're trying to show? We support embedding of YouTube, Vimeo and even Sketchfab.

Testing below to make sure this still works.

4. LaneFox

LaneFox

Because there are globally accepted free solutions used to handle this like Imgur, Giphy and YouTube.

Put your videos there and link them in the thread.

5. filibis

filibis

@Buhlaine & @LaneFox, i think you're missing my argument in the first post, i will try again with different words.

If the issue here is bandwidth usage (which i think it is), then rational move must be allowing videos and not gifs. gifs are 'heavier' than videos. Because gifs can't be compressed as much as videos. Check this article. There author says with proofs:
    ---
    When you say "You can upload to Youtube and embed here", you make a logical error, because .gifs can be uploaded to 3rd party websites and embed here as well but they're allowed to upload in forum. So you're not explaining the situation, it doesn't make sense.
    ---
    Yes, at work most video-sharing websites are blocked (sadly).

6. FMark92

FMark92

Yeah, gifs should be forbidden as well.

7. Blepius

Blepius

This is still an issue, I think. If people upload their videos to third party websites, then these videos will eventually be cleared out and the original questions will lose part of what was asked.

I don't think there's any reason for .gifs being allowed but .mp4 or .mkv being disallowed other than there being technical limitations.

colegamedesign and Ruslank100 like this.