Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Unity Don't Allow To Remove Game Libraries

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ceylan12, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Ceylan12

Ceylan12

If there was no physic and other game libraries in Unity with another version. It would be super cool to create apps with Unity. Why Unity doesn't make it? It is much easier to use than other ide's.

2. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Why do you need to remove game libraries? I've been making android apps in Unity for months.

3. neginfinity

neginfinity

Due to the way programs work this would require rebuilding the engine from source and it would also require heavy modification of the engine in order to make it modular. Also if you use collision detection, you use physics.

As far as I know, unity applications are kinda heavy. This information might be outdated.

Then again, these days nobody bothers trying fit an Application into 1 megabyte, and people make electron-based trash with 300 megabyte installation size without worrying too much about it...

angrypenguin and Ceylan12 like this.
  4. Ceylan12

Ceylan12

For better performance and less size. It would be better.

5. MDADigital

MDADigital

What happened to project tiny or what it was called? Scrapped?

RecursiveFrog likes this.
  6. Antypodish

Antypodish

7. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Writing assembly is "better performance and less size" too, but most of us don't do it. Not to say Unity shouldn't ever change, but don't let perfect be the enemy of good. Unity as it is now works fine.
    Sure. My builds typically have a lot of audio files, but the size of one of them minus the audio is about 27 MB. Far more than 1 MB, but probably not a problem when most tablets have gigabytes of storage.

The concern I typically see is battery drain, but it kinda strikes me as a pre-optimization concern most of the time.

8. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

We already strip out unused parts of the engine when you are building for some platforms (mobile + WebGL in particular). The granularity is not always what you might want - for example, as @neginfinity says, if you are using collision detection then you are using the Physics module even if you aren't touching Rigidbodies - but it is a significant reduction in build size compared to not stripping things.

You can enforce that certain modules are stripped by disabling them via the Unity Package Manager in your project, they're listed in the 'Built-in Packages' section.

Ceylan12, karl_jones, Kiwasi and 2 others like this.
  9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Pre optimisation? But "is this the best tool for the job" needs to be an early question, at design time. Kicking that to late development reduces your options significantly.

Unity has talked about giving full control over time management and rendering, which might make it far more efficient for general purpose apps. Still, depending on what you're doing I'd usually recommend a purpose built toolset over a shoehorned one. And that's from experience, not idealism.

10. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

I don't disagree that there are better tools. I prefer Xamarin and XAML in particular, making a GUI in Unity is terrible in comparison (I only used it for that because I was assigned to it).

But "It would be super cool to create apps with Unity" implies that one cannot create apps in Unity. It's a "this tool can't even do the job" statement, not a "this isn't the best tool for the job" statement. If someone wants to make an app in Unity for whatever reason, there's no reason they can't.

11. Ceylan12

Ceylan12

Actually maybe I wrote wrong because I didn't want to say that. When I compare making app with Unity and Android Studio in usability of editor I think Unity is better, at other side when I compare performance of the app, Android Studio will be better so I usually use Android Studio for apps. I mean while they can do that, why they don't try to be rival to other editors that are creating apps with better performance. Also disabling some built-in package can help to make it more performant so thank you for all answers.