Search Unity

Why Unity 5.0 is STILL a good deal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hippocoder, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Rico21745

Rico21745

Yup agreed. I really do hope Unity gets their act together about all these things, because it sure would be a shame to have to rebuild my entire codebase for my next project. But with the amount of issues I have encountered with Unity in larger games, and the UE4 licensing changes, it may just be in the cards. yes, rebuilding things can be a lot of work, but then again, I have lost so many work hours to these issues in Unity, I could have probably already finished my game if it had been a more robust engine like UE4. Hundreds maybe thousands of man hours spent troubleshooting and recovering from issues/crashes/working around the engine.

PS: Your game looks great, I'm a fellow old school horror fan and I really dig the atmosphere in your game. GJ, we should be twitter friends.

2. squared55

squared55

Divert all funds to the modelling, rigging, and sound departments?

3. Rico21745

Rico21745

You have funds?

4. squared55

squared55

*cuts dime into three equal parts*

On a more serious note, if you're making a large project, you're more likely to have funds... but you're also more likely to have a deadline.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

HAHAHA! :), well I did love the workflow in Unity but it makes the decision for you.!

6. Deleted User

Deleted User

All our artwork is done, we literally started having meetings about how we could add extra twists into the plot. At first mention of a Stickman and Rambo it was time to move on :D

7. goat

goat

Why do people always bring up being an adult for crude and rude behavior? Civility is not tolerance of abuse. Civility is refusing to abuse and being helpful. As an adult you are accountable for your civil behavior not excused from your civil behavior. And more to the point, laws and adults excusing children from culpability aside by the time children reach kindergarten they are rather well versed already on right and wrong.

The problem is a big well known company such as Unity doesn't have the respect for their customers to say you know what, 'We wouldn't allow a traveling salesman to talk like that to us so why are we allowing resources Unity controls to abuse our customers?' It's a lack of respect. NSA doesn't give respect, most governments don't give respect, most big businesses don't give respect, and criminals sure don't give respect. So are we angling for that type of power when we show a lack of respect for each other in these forums? If that's what's needed I don't want power.

Unity shows a lack of respect in not even attempting to filter out such swear words. It has nothing to do with freedom of speech, it has to do with civility and respect of strangers. I'm not your hip mommy and daddy that think's it's so cute you have a potty mouth at any age nor are the overwhelming number of people out there.

The forums are a different matter but you'd still expect basic filtering of swear words, even if as a 'forum option'. It's respect for their customers.

Now back to the topic: Unity needs a really good tutorial on where and how to cheat poly counts by replacing overuse of 3D meshes with background 2D art in Unity 5.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  8. tatoforever

tatoforever

I've sent you an email.

Or you can pull your hairs off (if you have any left). :rolleyes:

9. Misciagno

Misciagno

I wish they would give us a ball park time frame of when we can expect Unity 5.

10. daisySa

daisySa

Based on the past, it should be available around August.

11. Metron

Metron

Lose money... I agree with all you've said. As an independent developer, I have spent >30.000 Euros on Assets, and I was quite far with my game. But too many problems with Unity led me to the conclusion that Unity is great for prototyping, small games and deployment onto mobile platforms. But anything that needs more sophisticated scenes leads to a lot of problems.

I still own the assets, and I'm surely looking into using them... yet, I'm quite sure that Unity will not be my first choice for that project.

Also, Unity has proven to not deliver stable and feature complete major versions (I'm with Unity since 2.x (x<5)). I highly doubt that V5 will be any different and thus, all the great features they've announce will need at least 4-5 point releases (and thus 1 to 1.5 years) before they are in a usable state... has been like that with Unity, will be like that... unless they prove me wrong.

12. Furynyx

Furynyx

I was more referring to hobbyists versus serious independent developers, rather than not buying tools you can afford. While I agree with saving time by buying the tools you need, you do so within your means; with the resources available, especially now with UE4 and the new CryEngine subscription models, there is no reason for a non-hobbyist to need thousands put aside just for tools before they can do serious game development. If you don't have the money to buy tools then you don't have that luxury but that in no way means you are automatically a hobbyist.
    I'm implying that, as an independent developer, as long as you can support yourself and plan out the development realistically, you shouldn't have to put things on hold while you work for a couple of years to save up money for tools; build out the tools you cannot afford and work on a project with a scope that you are capable of achieving, if you cannot do this then you are indeed a hobbyist who is not currently capable of being an independent developer.

I wanted to touch on Unity's flaws last night but I was too tired at the time. The fact it so far hasn't been a reliable engine for source control, large teams or large projects, and is unstable in many regards, needing many fixes, is a major issue and UT have mostly seemed to focus their priorities on pushing out new features to appeal to potential customers. Currently it causes a lot of headaches and requires us to build out our own fixes without having access to the source code.
    It seems as though you have said a lot of what needed to be said though so I won't bother going over it.

Due to how Unity has been thus far (and I am not disregarding how far it has come and how much of an impact it has made on the industry for independent developers), I definitely share your hesitation and agree that while the feature-set is great, it is almost certain that it will not be released in a state that's stable. I am, however, optimistic that now (with UE4 and CryEngine's subscription models) UT will change up their priorities and focuses and things will only get better, more-so than we could have imagined. I am hoping to see Unity become a much more polished, stable and reliable engine to use.

13. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Everybody seems to forget that there is a Free version of Unity!
    Neither Cryengine nor Unreal offer that !! You have to pay at least 20 $.

Well you can work for years with Unity Free, and it will cost you 0$ with all free Updates instead of 10-20$ per months. So for a Hobbyist, Unity it is even cheaper :)
    And despite what every beginner are saying (at least people without the experience of one finished game), there is not one Feature in unity pro that are essential. Profiler ? help make your game faster. Post processing? Help make your game prettier etc... But you can make 95% of your game and keep the 5% of polish for the end of your dev.

Well UE4 will be as stable as Unity. It's a new release. Unreal has not the reputation to be a rock solid engine either.

I see a lot of people complaiging about not having the ultra Hightech radiosity sixtuple buffer :), and none about a particular bug when you work in a big team. So of course Unity focus on new features. It's the marketing.

14. orb

orb

And help track down that annoying spike which causes your players to quit the game in disgust ;)

15. IronMathbook

IronMathbook

hum...sounds like unity may not be the engine I need for the type of games I want to make. What scope of games ( size, graphics, mechanics) does unity have troubles with?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  16. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

The one that need more than 10 people to make.

17. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Hey you're right, except this spike didn't appear out of thin air.
    It's a lot harder to track, but if you've just added a feature, and this spike appear, you know where the problem is...
    You can get back in time with svn ect.. We use to work like this in the old days :)
    It's 10 time harder, but a spike like that don't come everyday if you don't do crappy code.

18. Rico21745

Rico21745

Let's be realistic here. Based on your logic, you don't really even need Unity free to make games, right? Why not just make your own engine?

The fact of the matter is that Unity free is not really a selling point for anyone now. I can get UE4 for $20 and that will come with all proper tools needed for development unlike Unity free. You also don't need an IDE for development, I mean, you could use notepad instead. Do you?

Why should any serious or even halfway serious developer settle for an inferior product when you're 20 dollars away from a far superior toolkit? Unity free is not even worth discussing in this regard. All the people who don't want to spend 20 bucks on an UE4 license are doomed to fail with Unity free anyways, as you can't make a decent game in Unity within a reasonable amount of time without at least some third party assets. If you can't even spend 20 bucks on the engine guess what, you don't have money to submit to most online marketplaces (assuming you're doing mobile since most Unity users seem to be mobile game devs...)

So really, how is Unity free worth anything at this point? IMHO its completely pointless and its being used as a crutch and as an excuse not to meet the competition.

At the end of the day here are the facts as I see them: There's a subset of developers using Unity, like me, that are pretty annoyed at how bad Unity is when it comes to making full fledged games (not mobile or prototypes/gamejam games). We are now further annoyed that Unity now costs more than its more stable/prettier competitors which also happen to come with more tools out of the box than Unity.
    People like us are either doing the cost/benefit analysis on switching, have already switched, or will switch for the next project if Unity doesn't change anything.

New developers looking at Unity now have these choices:

1) Unity free which compared to UE4 or Cryengine is basically the "free trial" equivalent of an engine. Does not come with proper tools or visual fidelity needed for non-2d games. And let's face it, most folks making 2d games are probably looking at GameMaker instead.

2) UE4 for $20. A new developer doesn't care about 5% profits because that means they made a profit. No new developer is going to make millions on their first game and if they do, they'll be pretty happy and likely not care about 5%. UE4 comes with almost the equivalent of hundreds of dollars worth of things you'd have to buy at the Unity Asset store (playmaker/blueprint, proper GUI, shaders, networking, among many others).

3) $10 bucks for Cryengine. See above

4) $1500 for Unity pro, and that's only if you want the desktop version. Want all the add ons? Tack on 3500 or more to that please. Let's not even talk about the subscription option, it's a bad joke. April fools, right?!

I don't really understand what some people have to gain by defending Unity's lack of effort to keep developers compared to the competition. What do you stand to gain by supporting an inferior product? This is your livelihood, your money. I personally will support the best tool for my money, and until Unity makes some changes, it's not looking like that's Unity at this point.

19. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Just NO.
    I say that Unity Free gives you 95% of the feature to make a game nothing more nothing less. Don't extrapolate.
    I say use unity Free not notepad. Don't put words in my mouse. It just proove that you need to make me say fantasie things to prove your point, because have no other choice. Find better argumentation next time!
    I say that for a hobbist the free version is enough. I didn't say that it's enough to release a AAA game. It's even enough for most of your Pro production.
    You can make Super Meatboy with Unity Free, You can make Fez with Unity Free... You can make Paper Please with Unity Free... Maybe you can't but other can.

And let's ear you. 20$ + 5% for a pro it's nothing, but 70$ and no royalty is ultra expensif? For a pro both solution are cheap. And his decision won't be done on the price. (unless he has a team of 100 dev license to pay of course)

Unity is not inferior. It's still a high productivity tool. It's still better that UE4/Cryengine for small team (20-30% faster production maybe ?). It's still better for multiplatform. It's still the only engine that have been indie friendly (no a price cut is not what I call indie friendly). And it's still the engine with the best Asset Store by far.

Honestly I don't understand people on the Unity forum that tell everybody that UE4 is wonderfull. So why are you still there ?
    They don't have any forum ?
    Let's be honest, you still find Unity to be the best solution for you and you just want to put pressure on Unity to have a price cut :)
    I can understand that.

20. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

I hear ya bro. The 4.x editor is less stable than a game of Jenga. Edit, Ctrl-S, crash, restart, ... repeat until shipped. Used to be more stable on my Mac, and now, even that is not true.

Gigi

21. Slyder

Slyder

Where the hell do you get the delusion that Unity is magically better for small teams than UE4? That UE4 automatically takes 20-30% longer to produce. It sounds to me like you've never actually used UE4 and you are going off what you have heard about UDK.

What UE4 ACTUALLY does is modulate the workflow so that it's very easy to break your project up into small manageable parts that all work independently and together at the same time. (You can thank C++ for that). Yes, this is good for a team as you can split the work up...but it's also good for indies so that you can organize and piece together your project. The only thing that will slow you down is C++ (if you don't know it) and sometimes it takes a little longer to compile.

On the Art side, UE4 is MILES above Unity in terms of work flow and what you get for the work you put in.

Stop regurgitating information about a product that you have no experience using. The fact is, certain things will take longer or shorter for both engines and what matters more is how much you know the engine you choose to use.

22. Gigiwoo

Gigiwoo

Why do people seem to forget that? Cause Unity free has limits and $20 (once) is essentially free.
    Gigi

23. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

The worst part is that Unity doesn't save your prefabs unless you save your scene.

24. ZJP

ZJP

And if you buy a tool that costs you 20$ for a feature already built into EU4? How many times it is repeated to compensate a missing feature ?
    Eventually, the system requirements will be the only real obstacle to change GameEngine if Unity Technologie don't change their plans about the price.

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Metron, Rico21745, Furynyx thanks for your responses, since I posted my open situation I've received a fair amount of PM's regarding people hitting the wall / running into the same issues as us. I thought we were part of a very small minority. Turns out, we're not.. (Thanks to people reaching out to help, you are too kind)..

I'll see how things turn out, this morning I sat down with the team informed them of our position and said that we need to evaluate UE4 correctly.

Quick question, has people experiencing these issues reported bugs and submitted their projects?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
  26. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

If you are going to argue, make sure you have all of the details right. Unity's subscription is not $70. It is $75/month with a one year lock in, plus an additional $75/month for Android plus an additional $75/month for iOS. That means Unity costs $225/month for doing mobile dev, and the one year lock in forces the total commitment to $2700 for the year. With UE4, a dev can pay $19/month and has the option to quit at any time. When a new user does risk analysis, Unity risks $2700 while UE4 only risks $19. That makes Unity look 142 times as risky as UE4 to a new user.

In addition to that, anybody serious about making a game will quickly see the Free version lacks critical features needed to polish a game up so you can get it ready to sell. UE4 includes all of the needed features. In fact, Unity 4 Pro does not even include as many Pro level features as UE4. Unity 4 Pro requires hundreds of dollars worth of third party assets in order to match the UE4 feature set. That makes Unity look even riskier to new users.

I agree that Unity's Asset Store is certainly a strength. However, it is also true that many of the assets are for features that should be in the core. UE4 includes features in the core that are equal to hundreds of dollars worth of assets for Unity. UE4 also includes some very nice tutorials for free, while comparable tutorials for Unity cost money. For example, you can download free tutorials for making a first person shooter or a tower defense game in UE4. A new user can find similar tutorials in the Unity Asset Store for a price.

I currently have both Unity and UE4 installed. I am personally a lot more familiar with Unity, but I can definitely understand why people are so excited about UE4 right now. For $19/month, a new user can try it and has the option to quit at any time. That is a very low risk offer, and the UE4 engine comes with a very complete set of Pro level tools.

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

While I love an open discussion, I'm struggling to see why you're using Unity if UE4 is better for you on all accounts. You are here, as a Unity user right?

28. Archania

Archania

To slam Unity at all ends and promote Ue4 it seems. Instead of just doing what they need to the constantly come back to the forums to promote just how wonderful it is using ue4.
    Personally dont give 2 craps. Use what you want but please dont push onto me your desires of what I need to be using or doing.

29. Slyder

Slyder

I started with Unity and I like a lot of what Unity is. That doesn't mean that I'm happy with Unity and the direction they have taken with things.

-Slow updates
    -Slow bug fixes
    -Lacking core tools/feature sets
    -Using the Asset store as an excuse for why certain things are missing
    -Using Unity Free to justify the steep up front cost (risk)
    -Withholding features for large version releases (other companies do this as well)

I do however, like the Unity community as it is one where open discussions are invited and not ruled over nazi style by the mods.

I have switched over to UE4 and A LOT of the qualms people state on the Unity forums about UE4 are flat out false. So I defend UE4 where it's deserved and I would do the same for Unity. I also like to answer the odd beginner question every once in awhile and there seems to be more complete beginners gravitating towards Unity than UE4...you know the people who don't really know any coding or art, but want to learn so that they can dive into Unity/UE4/whatever engine

30. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Been playing around in UE4 like I mentioned in the other thread. It's been quite wonderful. I feel that both engines are very strong. I'd like to create a small project on both engines (one after the other, not simulataneously).

My project on Unity was hitting a snag, because it ultimately called for more content. I have friends that were willing to help but they only use Unity Free and I like Unity Pro. Luckily it was an early concept that can be easily transfered to another engine. So I've been building a prototype in UE4. I really feel Epic did something truly extradinary by releasing FULL source. Everyone has the power to fix bugs and it is a wonderful thing. I've fixed 2 bugs myself in the engine.

I still feel Unity has maturity going for it due to the store. Both are very good.

My hope is that everyone has time to evaluate all of their options and you have the wisdom to choose the best fit for you.

I do not regret my Unity Pro purchase. I made a very fun prototype that I plan to extend in Unity 5. For now I will probably try to crank out a quick game in UE4 during the wait though.

31. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Here is a link to a YouTube video showing the latest free example project available for UE4.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CGBoFZq1dU

The project is a fairly large download at nearly a gigabyte, but it is really impressive. It looks even better on my PC than it does in that video. I have both Unity and UE4 installed, and I have never found an example this good for Unity.

I am not trying to slam Unity. I love Unity (both the product and the community). I do think Unity needs to take the threat from UE4 seriously, though.

32. Rico21745

Rico21745

I imagine most of us vocalizing our concerns about Unity's response to UE4 are in a similar situation. Mainly that we have large projects with years of work on them that are not feasible to switch over.

The fact is if we didn't care, we wouldn't be here. I sure would love to have this be a non-issue if Unity decides to fix these problems and come up with a good answer to the points I've made (not in words, but in what matters, actions/cash). If Unity can match these issues I'm a happy camper, no need for me to transplant to another engine for my next project. If not, I'll probably pack up my bags and not look back until I have a reason to.

These are tools, not life partners. I don't get attached to Unity or UE4 any more than I get attached to a screwdriver.

This thread is specifically talking about this topic. If you don't like the discussion, the beauty of forums is that there are many other threads you can read, or you can even choose not to read them. Nobody's pushing anything on you, you are free to hold your own opinion, delusional or otherwise. Unity's not getting slammed at all ends, just the ones where they should be getting slammed on. It may not be an issue for you, but it is for some of us, and we will voice our issues in the hopes that someone will listen.

33. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

One second thought, I wished I waited a bit before purchasing my Pro license. I could have gotten by in Unity Free but I just wanted that sparkle from Pro. I think obviously going forward, Unity will lose out on those sort of purchases. Folks that were in my same boat that wishes to collaborate with friends while enjoying current render-to-texture effects may consider alternatives. I wonder if Unity 5 purchases will slow down and prompt them to take action or will there not be a huge impact?

34. Metron

Metron

I had reported multiple bugs and submitted complete projects (even access to my SVN since the project weighted >3GB; bug submission tool would not submit that). I have to counter check, but I think all bugs got fixed... Why am I not sure? Because it took so fricken long to see them fixed in the releases... One of the bugs, which really bugged me, brang the project to a hold: Editor became unusable with huge amounts of objects in the scene (>10.000). The editor would freeze for ~20 seconds before it came back. Between bug submission and fix 2 or 3 .x releases later, almost 9 month went along...

35. Metron

Metron

I'm with Unity since before 2.5... I love the tool, like that it uses C# and dig the community. I don't like the way Unity has evolved in the recent years with half-implemented features, long bug fixing turn-arounds and the license costs (not to speak of the subscription costs which are absurd). I would like to see Unity take the right steps and make sure that our opinions matter.

Currently I stick with Unity because I used it to showcase my project to investors and potential customers. Telling them that I have to switch engines and rewrite parts of my pipeline would turn them of in the current state. Nevertheless, they are not stupid and I have to have answers for them if they ask the critical questions...

36. Ocid

Ocid

Uhh cause where I grew up a simple swear word isn't considered abuse and I'm a big enough boy I don't start crying when I see it written online. These forums are far more civil (as you put it) than the people I hang around with.

Lol kids knowing the difference from right and wrong at what 5? No idea what age kindergarten starts at. Nice try though.

More government ranting. Blah blah. Got a real beef with them eh.

37. Waz

Waz

Some of us have existing projects on Unity while we investigate UE4 for future projects. Don't be so "you're either with us or against us" - it's not conducive to open discussion, and looks desperate. Unity 5 is *bad news* for people with existing projects: it signals the end of hope for bug fixes we've waited months for. I'm not going to upgrade to U5 until it fixes all bugs that affect my project - without adding new breakage - which is likely to be never.

38. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

20$ +5% of royalty. Well everybody forget that too :)
    If you forget this 5% you probably don't excpect to make any money.

But yes I must admit I don't know UE4 excpt from video (I know UE3 with source code).

And if you buy an asset in the Unity asset store that save months of dev, but didn't exist in UE4 core. What do you do with UE4?
    Live from only water push your deadline for several months and do it yourself ?

Paying is not a problem if it's cheaper than doing it yourself.
    People looove doing things themself, even when it's not the smartest thing to do. Hey youpi I have the source code I can fix the bug myself.
    Hey youpio, I need to merge my bugs fix with the new version, it create a new bug hey! One year later, well I need to merge the one hundred bug fix in the new source code where everything has changed, my custom tool to the new interface of the 5 version, and making my modification to the new architecture, it will took me weeks, and my game is not finished... Hey I've submited my bug fixes, but UE4 don't have much more pepole than Unity, and my bug fix submition is there waiting for months. Hey not so much anymore.

That's what happen where I work with UE3. It tooks them 2 months of work after a big update.

I understand the good feeling of making something yourself.
    But when you have a business you need to make the best economical decision.

39. nipoco

nipoco

That's what he obviously don't get. Not everyone can immediately switch just because UE4 is in town.

Personally, I still had the hope that UT will change their whole attitude. And I don't talk about a simple price cut. But now I think this won't happen. Instead you have some people here that defend tooth and nail for Unity, while they pretend to be objective about that matter.

I've been using Unity since 2.4 and since Higgy left, it is really going down the drain on many levels. You really have to read between the lines. Not just the obvious things like slow bug fixing, lack of features, broken promises etc.

Epic isn't perfect either. But these guys doing a lot things damn right. And I already recognized a good number of nice Unity forum people over at the Unreal forums :D

40. Murgilod

Murgilod

People need to stop saying this because it's never really stopped being any more wrong.

If your project is going to make less than $30,000 and it coming out on a single platform? It's already a better deal than Unity Pro. Making $30,000 is honestly an absolute rarity for most developers.

If your project is going to make $60,000 and is coming out on two platforms (like Android and iOS?) then it's a better deal than Unity Pro and a single mobile pro license.

If your project is going to make $90,000 and is coming out on PC/Mac/iOS and Android? It's a better deal than Unity Pro and two mobile pro licenses.

UE4 is a huge deal for smaller indies and small developers. This doesn't even begin to touch on per-seat costs either.

41. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'm not sure I mean what you think I mean. It's a straight up question, which before your post had some cool headed measured reasons. You don't have to accuse me of a "with us or against us" stance. I'm wondering just what Unity has going for it if Unity users come back to chat. Not sure how it's desperate. In my case I can afford Unity. That is, it ticks all the boxes that are just perfect for my current game. If it did not, then I would not use it. If UE4 is more suitable, I will use that. Currently, it isn't.

The concerns seem to mostly be directed at how Unity does business rather than engine features. Certainly, we're all waiting for Unity 5 to pull the rabbit out of the hat visually, but mostly the bone of contention around here (if I've read it right) is directed at the business and of course, updates.

I feel that Unity needs to start opening up again. This means roadmaps with "SUBJECT TO CHANGE" plastered all over it, and generally speaking about future plans. All of us (and that especially means me) could do with an insight to what the plans are, what the motivations are and what is being done, right now.

A lot of us indeed have big projects on the go. I've invested my business in Unity, that makes me somewhat an investor. If an investor is left constantly in the dark, they don't feel confident about investing more money (time, development effort, etc) into that product.

I want to be reassured personally and that means more updates, more frequently if I can't see a business plan or roadmap.

42. pkid

pkid

I agree. Unity seems to have become very opaque. Its hard to know where Unity is going. And on the business side they seem to be silent about any changes.

43. Antigono

Antigono

I think so too. The more time goes without disclosing an attitude or desire for change of some kind, the more likely that more developers will get used and choose to stay with another engine.
    On the other hand, as a personal opinion, I dont like the idea that, with this business model, improvements and additions will only be included in future versions.
    I mean, just to name a simple example, who bought Unity 4 and perhaps additional addons, is not entitled to a 64-bit version?

44. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I agree completely. Unity seems oblivious to the community. They need to be more open about the road maps and join some discussions in the forums with the community. For example, the community obviously has a lot of opinions about Epic's UE4 announcement, but nearly a month has gone by without any official comment by Unity regarding that. None of us knows when Unity 5 will ship or what it's features will be for sure. Nobody even knows when the new GUI will ship.

45. Furynyx

Furynyx

If you read back just one page you would have basically everything you have talked about in your posts answered. No one is forgetting Unity's free version and you are entirely incorrect as the other two engines DO offer that. I have already stated people forget that UDK and CryEngine's SDK are free engines people can use every time they bring up the "Unity is free" argument; they have been able to use them for quite awhile now, although for a hobbyist I would agree Unity's free version is much better suited in comparison.

Any non-beginner would laugh at you for stating this; with your logic, why don't we all just build our own engines if we want to make a competitive game? It just sounds like you are looking at it from a hobbyists point of view with no real experience or knowledge.
    Also, hobbyists would actually now be better paying the $19 for UE4 or $10 for CryEngine (that is, if CryEngine do a similar 'all-access' subscription scheme like UE4) and having a lot of new features as well as a much more polished, robust engine to work with as they would unlikely have the time or skills to fix the problems with Unity for their projects and build out all the parts of the engine missing that they want or need.

I'm not even going to give this wild assumption or the incorrect statement an answer. What world are you living in? You are completely talking out of your arse.

You see none about working in a big team because no big team even bothers so they don't even come here and complain, it would be stupid and amateur for a serious developer to start using an engine without doing R&D with it first. You are correct in the fact Unity has, up until now, focused on marketing; something I hope is going to change now.

It might help reading over this thread in its entirety first rather than jumping to the last page and wildly replying, as well as going and doing your research before spewing blatant non-facts that you make up to support your statements.

46. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

I never say build your own engine, like I never say use Note pad. I really don't understand the connection with what I'm saying and that.
    UE4 (and I don't even talk to CryEngine) are not better than Unity. If you really think that you won't be still here...
    A newbie won't even scratched the surface of any of thoose engine!
    But honestly I don't care. You can give newbies seduced by pretty picture, the bad advice you want.

Be polite.

UE4 is also focus on marketing. They've made stupid decision by working more on the nice for your eyes instead of making a good production pipeline.
    Look here someone as posted a nice video on the render of UE4. Well it's just a cinematic not a game... and it probably influence his decision to choose this engine :) That's what make sell an engine, a pretty cinematic.

I know that from a fact because I worked on a high end engine few years ago. It was better than the Unreal Engine (40 progs full time, 15 millions dollars budget). But we needed to hire full time artists to make pretty video, to seduce dev...
    We also neede to make a pretty interface!! Yes the feature was better than UE3 but the editor wasn't looking good... Same windows, but with this nice black trendy GUI and pretty buttons, convinced more dev :)
    So I know how bad dev are when they need to take a decision to choose an Engine. I bet that none of the evaluation people will do here take the productivity into account. This will mostly be a feasability test.
    The only fact of using C++ just kill the productivity (15%-20% maybe?). Like giving the source code. It give you independance, but will kill the productivity of programmers. Because they will try to fix everything even when they don't need to.
    I try to warn people, but I'm not good a convincing (I even start a fight without wanting one, and by starting with neutral sentences).

Sorry I didn't read the 15 pages threads (well I read a big chunk). I didn't know it was mandatory.
    There is UE4 fan, and I'm ok with that. But I still don't understand why you loose your time here
    Sorry I won't answer anymore. I've better thing to do and If you believe UE4 is better, you should do the same.
    (Or stay there and replying to me because you still think Unity is better...)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  47. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Wow, Furynyx is some kind of a idiot.

48. derkoi

derkoi

I'm not sure why all those people who think UE4 is better for their projects are trying to convince others? That's the job of the companies who make the engines not the people who use them, if half of you put that much energy in to your games you'd perhaps finish a few projects.

49. Grafos

Grafos

I think users sharing opinions on how Unity compares to other engines can be very beneficial to unity developers and to the user base.

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm not sure who you're directing that statement to? There are many varied opinions you need to be more specific. Myself personally, I couldn't care what an engine's called as long as said Engine get's the job done. The more people push to improve Unity the more Unity listen..

At the moment, UE4 doesn't constantly fall over and doesn't halt development with a slurry of issues. I'm only doing a proper evaluation until I can get my hands on U5 and compare..

Hopefully by then I'll be in a position to make a very informed decision.