Search Unity

Why the whole Chibi large head and unrealistic trend?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reloque, Jan 12, 2019.

1. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

I haven't read most of this lengthy thread, only the original post and a few others.

Just wanted to say, it shouldn't be too hard to find an artist who can make characters like this in a matter of hours. A lot more time to figure out a concept if you don't have one, but once the art style is set the actual production of characters like this can be very rapid. Most of the time would be spent reiterating on concepts to get the look and characters you really want, but the actual doing of making low-poly characters like this is very simple for any competent artist.

If you are paying by the hour, maybe it won't be as expensive as you might imagine then. I'd recommend just carpet bombing character artist on artstation. Lots of people looking for work. Just need somebody you can communicate clearly with and somebody who is patient and willing to redo things many times to hit the bullseye.

Personally, I feel that art is not so important to ensuring a game is fun and has replayability, but I think it's paramount in selling a game. Sex sells, you know. You need some personality to make a commitment work, but just to make that initial contact there has to be some sex appeal. So I think finding a good artist you can work with and making sure you can pay them fairly is probably worth the effort.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    GarBenjamin likes this.
  2. Reloque

Reloque

I like where you're coming from. It's actually what I am doing right now, I am building the art work myself and as such it will be developer art. I am building a top down RPG in a mix of styles. Not really sure about the combat system yet, only the exploration bit is kind of finished. I am still doing all sorts of trail and error. I am nowhere near sure that the game play is even interesting. But, I am learning, that's the goal right now.

I can't find placeholder art, I'll make it myself. Currently working in Blender on the indomitable guardsman known as T-Pose Man. Not letting it stop me. Then again, for me, this is a hobby, so no pressure either.

GarBenjamin likes this.