Search Unity

Why stuck at 60 fps (if not vSyncCount or targetFrameRate)?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by JoeStrout, Jan 14, 2019.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

We're trying to do some performance comparisons between different techniques, but having no luck, because our frame rate (on Windows) appears to be pinned at 60 fps no matter what we do.
    • vSync is set to "Don't Sync"
    • Application.targetFrameRate is -1
    • NVIDIA control panel set to switch off vsync
    • scene, by this point, is completely empty except for the camera and our FPS counter
    • problem occurs both in a built app and in the editor
    One possible wrinkle: Our project is using an evil asset called Lighting Box 2, which insinuates itself into every scene and is impossible to completely get rid of. It adds a big stack of post processing effects to the camera, though I currently have them turned off — but this is a very confusing and poorly-written asset that is always doing things behind your back, so who knows? If it's possible for such an asset to screw with things, it's probably doing it.

Unfortunately we apparently need that thing in this project, and it's not possible to have it in the project at all and not have it mucking with your scene. I'm almost to rip it out and just rely on version control to restore the project after the test. But before I go that far... are there any other known ways a Unity app could be throttled to 60 fps, if it's not vSync or targetFrameRate?

EDIT: I actually did rip out Lighting Box 2, and removed all the junk it added to the main camera. Still clocking exactly 60.4 fps. What in the world could be going on?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Never mind. The problem turns out to be that I'm an idiot. :p

xVergilx likes this.
  3. SamuelKPeeroo

SamuelKPeeroo

Ok so what was the fix lol??
    I seem to be having the same issue.

ukUnityVrUser likes this.
  4. Psychosaiyan

Psychosaiyan

WHAT WAS THE FIX????

havokentity and Ughuuu like this.
  5. Baste

Baste

I think there's a vsync toggle in recent Unity versions directly in the game view. Maybe that's what @JoeStrout was an idiot about?

6. Psychosaiyan

Psychosaiyan

Where's that option?
    Hopefully it's not the "do not sync" one which the three of us already tried

7. Baste

Baste

From 2019 and forwards, it's together with the resolution toggle:

upload_2020-5-11_18-52-41.png

Flashheart8 likes this.
  8. Psychosaiyan

Psychosaiyan

yeah.... that was off... and always had been

9. Psychosaiyan

Psychosaiyan

Are all Unity Builds capped at 60fps?

marcospgp likes this.
  10. diliupg

diliupg

NO. Just go to Build settings, quality settings, and set the Vsync count to don't sync and you will have your blazing frame rate.

Kadir- likes this.
  11. hagmt

hagmt

In my case I tried everything, and spent 2 hours, but then I realized I'm on the battery, so my laptop was trying to save energy by lowering fps.

12. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Anyone else get this to work? I only have trouble with HDRP getting capped to 60fps. I turned off vsync count under Project Settings > Quality.

13. Sempiternal

Sempiternal

Had this same exact issue in Unity 2021, spent 3 hours trying to troubleshoot. Application.targetFrameRate was set to 300 and vsync was off in Unity and GPU/CPU. I even hard reset my pc to no avail.

I fixed it by opening a totally separate project in Unity 2022 and then pressing play (this project also had the same target frame rate and vsync settings). I then re-opened my 2021 project and my frames went up to where they needed to go.

14. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I avoided using HDRP for VR because it seem to be capped when using Oculus Link at 60 fps. In URP I easily get 120fps with Link. But then I noticed then when I actually build a HDRP project I get 120fps. Not sure what's going on, but at least I know I can get more than 60fps with a basic scene in HDRP.

15. EbalStudios

EbalStudios

For anyone viewing this in the future.

In my case it was the Armoury Crate Silent mode. If you have a laptop and did all of the above, don't forget to check your motherboard application.