Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Why something called UNITY is taking a lot of MBs in Memory Profiler Module?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by WaqasGameDev, Mar 24, 2021.

1. WaqasGameDev

WaqasGameDev

Hello community, I just profiled my android game in Profiler and in Memory Module I found a lot of memory is being used by something written here as UNITY as highlighted in image. I profiled this data directly on target device through release build. And I am not sure if this UNITY process utilizing memory is something related to only profiling or will this memory be used on End User device as well by UNITY process? Kindlyguide. upload_2021-3-24_17-44-9.png

2. MartinTilo

MartinTilo

Unity Technologies

That's basically all the memory usage that is tracked by Unity's memory manager that does not fit into the other categories. So that's native managers and allocations needed to run the different subsystems, as well as objects that are not tracked as audio, video or Gfx memory usage. You can switch from simple to detailed mode to get a more detailed break down, or use the memory Profiler package. We'll be updating the package UI in the coming months to specifically break down these high level numbers into more detail.

The part that is labeled
    Profiler
    is the part that is pure profiling overhead. Some memory overhead can be down to it being a development build, but it's usually not that much of a difference so, yeah, that is mostly going to be what users will end up with.