Search Unity

Resolved Why so complicated? #ARKit-plugin

Discussion in 'AR' started by Jelmer123, Oct 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

I'm using ARKit from its first Unity plugin (may / june 2017) and I feel like Unity is trying to make it simply hard to get stuff done.
    With ARKit I got a black screen on iOS.
    Turns out I have to go to Project Settings, Go to ARKit build settings and create a settings assets. Which only gives me the choice of making ARKit required or optional.

This is a very bad UX flow because a dev will only find out about this after building his/her complete project and testing it. That is the worst feedback loop possible!

I understand there's more complexity than ever before, but UX is also a thing guys.

This is also what sets Unity apart from Unreal which I have started using recently. In Unreal, stuff mostly just works and I've never even had to go in to any red console message. Imagine that.
    Also raytracing for example. In unreal you just switch it on and off. one checkbox and it works. In Unity, there's this whole recipe.

/rant. :D

2. Jelmer123

Jelmer123

LOL, and to make it even more user friendly, you should not forget to add ARkit as a plugin provider on startup on iOS (as if there are any AR input providers for iOS?)

3. Shaunyowns

Shaunyowns

The ARKit plugin from 2017 was an experimental preview, and has since been deprecated. Our recommendation for ARKit development is to use AR Foundation. We've also invested in making the UX easier to set up your project for handheld AR, and will continue to do so. Starting in 2019 LTS, there is a one-click checkbox to enable ARKit in your project. More details on how to get started can be found here.

Going to close this post as this should answer everything!

Jelmer123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.