Search Unity

Why replace Mecanim?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by marcus_unity998, Jun 27, 2019.

1. marcus_unity998

marcus_unity998

Read this page and thought it would be interesting to hear from the Unity devs their thoughts on this.

ian_backlund likes this.
  2. dibdab

dibdab

I think it's not fair to compare a statemachine with 50-60 states to a one with 5-6 states.

3. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

I would agree, but nothing on that page is making such a comparison.

4. marcus_unity998

marcus_unity998

No Unity dev wants to share their thoughts on this? I'd like to see some counter arguments or something. The animancer author's arguments are really good, and I thought well there must be a reason the Unity devs made it the way it is, I want to see the other side of the argument.

5. snacktime

snacktime

They are replacing Mecanim, or rather creating a whole new animation system based on DOTS. Nothing lasts forever, nobody get's it right the first time. Unity is constantly replacing/updating stuff they wrote years ago with new and better implementations.

6. marcus_unity998

marcus_unity998

bump. Still waiting for a Unity dev's response

7. Kybernetik

Kybernetik

I doubt many people will have any significant objections to what I've written on that page. Whether or not Animancer is actually the best solution, the problems with Mecanim are widely known and all I've really done is explain them in the context of effective programming practices.

Most of the reasons people have given me for not wanting to use Animancer fall into the following categories:
    • Don't want to learn a new system when they already understand Mecanim well enough to get the job done, especially if they're already in the middle of a project.
    • Don't want to depend on someone else's system without knowing how dedicated they are to supporting it. This one's not very common since the Pro version includes the source code.
    • Some people make frequent use of the ability to preview animation transitions which is one of the few things Animancer lacks (since there are no pre-defined transitions).

8. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Sure, but they are consistently getting it worse the second time.

Maybe third time's a charm.
    What kind of response are you expecting? An acknowledgement that Mecanim is horrible?

I don't even know if the original mecanim people are still working for Unity.