Search Unity

Feedback Why RectTransform is so poorly documented.

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by georgeq, Sep 2, 2019.

1. georgeq

georgeq

Can anyone tell me when RectTransform will have a proper documentation?

There's not much trouble if you need to modify just one property, but the moment you need to set 2 or more properties things become really difficult to figure out. There's a lot of missing information on this page, and it is very frustrating to be unable to achieve through code the same results you get by editing the properties directly on the editor. Based just in the official documentation you simply cannot implement a procedural UI in an easy way or at least predictable way, there's a lot of trial and error work that could be avoided if there was a complete explanation on how the properties work internally, because execution order matters, and since that is not documented you need to do lots of blind guessing...

The engineers that designed the UI system did an excellent job, but without the proper documentation is like if they'd made a very poor job.

I've been struggling with this since Unity 4.6.... and so far I haven't figured out a method that works for all cases, but I'm sure I've already had if I've had access to the necessary knowledge.

2. cxode

cxode

What's most frustrating about RectTransform is that the variable names in the inspector are completely different from the variable names in the code.

3. georgeq

georgeq

Yes, that's another issue. Names are not obvious if you are not familiar with the system, and even if you are, there are times when doubts arise when you don't get the expected behavior.