Search Unity

Why players don't like to think anymore :c

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by BrewNCode, Sep 17, 2018.

1. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

To each their own, I suppose, but for me, RPG's and the like are games I play went I want mindless entertainment. I only touch shooters if I'm feeling competitive (i.e. have energy to burn.)

But certainly it's up to the individual what kind of mental effort they are putting into a game. I can mindlessly play a card game... and lose, just as if I mindlessly play a shooter, I probably wont do to great either (unless I got it on easy for that exact reason.) It's probably a different kind of thought process, between a card game and a shooting game, but I doubt it's that different.

2. Martin_H

Martin_H

Shenzhen I/O is on sale! It is a game about designing circuits and assembler programming:
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/504210/SHENZHEN_IO/

47 page pdf manual included, comes with a recommendation how to best print it out and assemble it into a neatly organized binder.

upload_2018-9-27_1-12-58.png

Deleted User and hippocoder like this.
  3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Lol.

I'll read an online wiki for a complex game that promises to be good. But no way I'm printing out or referring to a physical manual. If I'm going to put in that much effort, I'm going to do it at work and get paid for it.

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Printing our the pdfs was pretty useful in Exapunks though.

I think the fact that Zachtronics games are fairly successful kinda disproves the premise of this thread.

GarBenjamin and Martin_H like this.
  5. BrewNCode

BrewNCode

Woooaah!!!! Nothing like reading the entire thread that I created with some Bossanova. Now, I like the term that one dude said earlier, complexity != depth. Clearly, I missed that word and I'm inclining in that direction.

6. Martin_H

Martin_H

It's not mandatory to print it out, that's just for maximum immersion. I printed it out for TIS-100, but probably won't for Shenzhen. You can just have the PDF on a second monitor or iPad. It's also not like you're constantly reading stuff there, the bulk of the time still is spent solving puzzles. I think I'll read in the manual in bed before going to sleep, low level programming stuff seems to help me relax.

I think for every movement of a broader mass in one direction, there will be a movement of a small group in the polar opposite direction. I don't think a single game does prove/disprove any trends on a grand scale, but there certainly is still a group out there interested in thinking games that is big enough to sustain a very small indie studio.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/716490/EXAPUNKS/

Interesting, I believe I've seen that on steam but totally didn't get what it's about and who made it. That's a fail in their marketing material. For Shenzhen I/O it was clear to me at a glance what I'd be doing and what the appeal is. Exapunks took a second look based on your recommendation. Thanks!

I make the destinction between "complicated" and "complex". I like a complex game (which usually means to me it has very nuanced systems and gamestates), but dislike complicated games (which usually means to me it's hard to learn and has lots of stuff to remember).

hippocoder and neoshaman like this.
  7. yian-dev

yian-dev

Its all because of twitch and streamers, they propagated the less thinking games insta action, like LoL, csgo, PUBG, fortnite, these games alone rake in most of the playerbase there are not many players left for the rest of the games.
    Also there are way too many damn games out there, and more are coming out every day, in the past we had few great games now its hundrets every year on all platforms its too much.

8. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm still waiting for anything resembling evidence that players "don't like to think anymore."

9. neoshaman

neoshaman

Game I don't play/like are mindless

/end thread

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  10. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

and it's somebody else's fault!

bring forth the guillotine!

11. BrewNCode

BrewNCode

Suffer my clickbait title so you can post and give your opinion in the matter. o_O

wetcircuit likes this.
  12. naj223

naj223

First of all older players like to play because of competition. Then people start making cheats because the casual player does not like to lose. It is why now games (on mobile too) have a difficult system which can be easily fitted to the player (not too hard). People just do not like to think, made a decision, lose.

13. Antypodish

Antypodish

Every player plays because of competition. They want to show / test them self they are better.
    Cheats first were tool for development purposes, which also were utilized by players. Mostly single player.
    You probably mean about hacks, specially for multiplier games, like seeing through walls, or glitching in online games etc.

Simply because we have more accessible alternative options this days.

Very little mentioned here in a thread about RPG / RTS games. RPG's can cover all complexity for RPG card / paper based games. On digital device is easy to get into it, without needing to study all instructions at once.

For example WoW has tons of rules, which are calculated behind the scene. Civilization series games are also complex, with mass of rules, requiring deep thinking.

LoL, or Dota, very competitive games, with tons of characters, with unique characteristics and properties. Requiring to learn about counter measures and patterns.

Factorio, KSP, Space Engineers, Robo Craft, From The Depths, requiring lots of tinkering, to get anywhere
    Minecraft can be as complex (specially with mods), as is easy. Is up to player.

And much more ... so players are not that stop liking to think.
    Is just how games are accessible to play.

If player can jump start to play within first few minutes, then chances are they will be sucked in.
    "Wasting time" for reading instructions this days, is not the way to go.
    However, it is often part of more complex games, in form of wikis documentation.
    So for more competitive games, players who like to play, are more likely to get deeper study, how to win.
    Not other way round.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  14. Murgilod

Murgilod

Citation needed.

If it's a multiplayer game, use aggressive verification of every action the player makes. If it's single player, who cares?

There's a handful of difficulty levels in games from up to over 25 years ago. This isn't a new phenomenon, as the title implies.

Except that's not how difficulty works? With the exception of a very select few cases due to developer oversight, you can beat a game at any difficulty level.

15. Teila

Teila

Ahh, so glad I missed all this.

So...escapism is definitely a part of it. I also enjoy mindless stuff when I am stressed or tired. But I am much more likely to invest more time and money into something that would make me think, challenge me and anything, games, books, tv shows, etc., that are interesting! That means they teach me something, show me something new, stay with me after they are done. Even good comedy, no matter how ridiculous can be thought provoking. Arrested Development is a silly funny show, a joy to watch. There are a lot of deep lessons in this parody of one family's life.

Games can challenge and hold someone's attention, and they can help to relax after a stressful day, whatever way you like to relax. Shooting things stresses me....keeping my sims from peeing on the carpet makes me laugh. :) Chatting with my online friends in a game makes me feel good as I am a social person. Some folks prefer the shooting. Great!

Either way, we all need all sorts of games and modes of entertainment, from simple phone games to complex strategy games to social games.

As a woman who worked in a science field around a bunch of men, I have lots of warm feelings about all those men, professional colleagues, friends, boyfriends, etc., so thanks guys for being there! :) Love this community!

16. the_0dium

the_0dium

Whoa. You've got it so wrong. With this type of attitude no wonder the game failed.
    So you you can break csgo to "take the package, run to the site, shoot, plant, win". So if it's so simple and doesn't require thinking then you must be one of the worlds best players, eh?
    With this kind of thinking I bet I could break down your same to "pick cards, use cards, win" which doesn't require thinking.

17. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

It's like saying about soccer "Just run at the ball and kick it", there is SO much more to it.
    I don't even like fortnite but you are way off on this one.