Search Unity

Why Plastic window keeps popping up while editin in prefab mode?

Discussion in 'Unity Version Control' started by yale3d, May 9, 2022.

1. yale3d

yale3d

I add a GameObject - Plastic window pops up.
    I move the object in the hierarchy - Plastic window pops up.
    I modify a component - Plastic window pops up.
    Not always (that would be too easy), but frequently enough to be seriously annoying.
    Anyone ever encountered something like this? 'Cause it looks like the whole internet is completely unaware of this...

lsheppler and ecg_tbunker like this.
  2. carlosalba1985

carlosalba1985

Unity Technologies

Hi,

What is the window that pops up? Can you attach a screenshot?
    What are your Unity and Version Control package versions?

Regards,
    Carlos.

3. yale3d

yale3d

The Plastic SCM window.
    Unity 2021.3.1f1, but the same with 2021.2.16f1. And version control 1.15.15
    upload_2022-5-9_18-58-58.png

ecg_tbunker likes this.
  4. yale3d

yale3d

And it's not easy to reproduce, with a new scene and a simple prefab it won't work. Something might be with checking out - sometimes i got a message box about checkout operation, but i can't reproduce it right now, really sorry...

5. yale3d

yale3d

And sometimes i get this message, this one after deleting a GameObject from the prefab hierarchy.
    upload_2022-5-9_19-23-33.png

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  6. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @yale3d, I'm sorry that you've been having issues with Plastic SCM. That's very odd that the Plastic SCM window keeps popping up for you. If you're unable to create a repro project then we're willing to sign an NDA and be added to your project so that we can try to reproduce it with your actual project.

As for the "existing checkout operation has locked the workspace" error, have you or your team updated the Lock Rules for your organization? We currently have a bug in the Unity Plugin where this error (along with the "These items have been exclusively checked out by..." error) pops up sometimes when trying to make changes to an asset that falls under a custom lock rule. Have your organization's lock rules been edited at all?

7. yale3d

yale3d

Thanks for the reply!
    As soon as i'll have the spare time i'll try to create a project that can reproduce the problem. (The other line has some serious bureaucratic pitfalls - I work for a company that works for a company that is, to put it mildly, a "bit" stiff...)
    About the Lock Rules i need to collect info, but i don't think Lock Rules was edited at all.
    Let me work on it a bit more and i'll get back here when i have some details.

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  8. yale3d

yale3d

Ok, so i have a way to reprodude it, but i also have a pretty simple solution. :rolleyes:
    Here are the steps to reproduce it: (tested on 2 different rigs, both 2021,3,1f1, one is win10, other is win11)
    1. create a new project,
    2. create a new empty GO, then add an empty child.
    3. drag the parent to the project window to create a prefab
    4. important: if open, close plastic window in unity (even if it is docked!)
    5. save and exit unity
    6. checkin all pending changes prom Plastic's Pending Changes tab
    7. start unity
    8. in the project window, double click the prefab
    9. click GameObject menu, then Add Empty Child
    At this point, the PlasticSCM window should pop up. (i mean it shouldn't, but it does...)
    However: Solution is, as turned out, really easy: just dock the window somewhere and never close it... :D
    So it is quite a minor issue, i guess... Anyway, thanks for your time!

Last edited: May 12, 2022
    ecg_tbunker and Ryan-Unity like this.