Search Unity

why not windows ?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ducnguyen36, Mar 7, 2018.

1. ducnguyen36

ducnguyen36

I have a question, why we use linux dev unity, why not windows and what
    performance between linux and windows ?

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Some of us want to be on Windows, some of us want to be on macOS, and some of us want to be on Linux.

Nothing prevents you from writing games for another operating system on your operating system of choice.

Performance is mostly dependent on the game you're making. Choice of OS won't have a meaningful impact on that.

VitruvianStickFigure likes this.
  3. ducnguyen36

ducnguyen36

nice, I want to dev game in gentoo linux, but why I don't see unity linux download in homepage

4. ducnguyen36

ducnguyen36

in linux have some problem, not same in windows and Mac OSS, sorry if I make me

uncomfortable, I am a newbie with unity :D

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

There are downloads in the release notes and known issues thread. Last post has the latest release.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...s-and-known-issues.350256/page-2#post-3398912

Just keep in mind they only officially support Ubuntu. You may end up having to troubleshoot yourself on Gentoo.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    ducnguyen36 likes this.
  6. ducnguyen36

ducnguyen36

I hope you will help me learn unity :D

7. u_rs

u_rs

Not very true.
    I remember time when Unity builds on Linux was loading computer's CPU harshly. And in some of the last builds that problem returned, but not in such severe form.
    If I run Windows then my computer becoming noticeably slower in general, looks like everything happen slower then.
    So if we have good enough build for Linux then better use Linux.

8. VitruvianStickFigure

VitruvianStickFigure

Well, it's important to consider that Linux was in an alpha stage for a while. (It may still be.) That tends to open a project up to lagginess, though I still enjoy using it.

The biggest advantage Linux has is its leanness on system resources, especially when compared to Windows; it has a tendency to use up the bare minimum necessary, so there's literally more left for the editor to use. It's the same reason I do all my heavy-duty audio and graphic work on it. Technically, though, that's a question of program practice and ethics, not brand-name; so I think Ryiah is correct in concept.

9. web2ajax

web2ajax

As long as UNITY does not run perfectly on Linux, it's going to suck!

10. DominoM

DominoM

Having recently reinstalled Windows from a recovery partition and waiting 17 hours for all the updates to complete, I'd say there can be a very meaningful impact on performance. It came as a shock when I'm used to Linux and the same process completed (along with installing and configuring all applications which wasn't in the Windows figure) in an hour or two.

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

With the problems Microsoft has been known to introduce with an update, I disabled updates on Windows 10.

Unity, let alone any program of any real complexity, isn't going to run perfectly on any OS. Linux though will always be the worst off regardless of effort put into it because it has the same problem with software that PCs in general have when it comes to choice of hardware. There are simply too many potential combinations.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  12. ducnguyen36

ducnguyen36

is it work in gentoo linux ?

13. smtea

smtea

If you read through the thread (first post, and the download is in the last/most recent post) Ryiah linked you to above it will explain all

14. starikcetin

starikcetin

Semantics.

Of course nothing can run perfectly, that is not the intent of programming yet alone game development. By "running perfectly" we really only mean "fast, smooth, and not crashing more than twice a month".

15. Ryiah

Ryiah

Once again it's dependent on both the hardware and software combinations making up your individual computer. Below are some of the results I came across when looking for statements by people that the editor is stable. Clearly the combinations they have are not resulting in the problems some people have been seeing.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...173-with-a-new-installer.10427/page=1#r104229
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Unity3D/comments/84h5eq/how_stable_is_unity3d_on_linux/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/is-...-where-how-do-i-download-latest-build.410553/

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  16. mosaic_school

mosaic_school

My main reasons for having a Unity3D Editor on Linux are:
    1. Developers are free to use the OS of their choice.
    2. If one or more developers on the team use the Unity Editor on Linux bugs on that target platform get spotted way sooner usually.
    3. The ability to debug on the target platform with all editor features locally available helps a lot in finding game related bugs.

VitruvianStickFigure and Ryiah like this.
  17. aer0ace

aer0ace

@Ryiah You're so patient.

18. Ryiah

Ryiah

We don't know. In theory it should but different distros do things in different ways. I only recall one other Gentoo user on these forums (@Cygon4) and he hasn't logged on since January. You'll just have to try installing it yourself and report back with the problems you encountered.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  19. VitruvianStickFigure

VitruvianStickFigure

I believe that's why officially, only Ubuntu is supported. Scouring every conceivable distro for bugs is laughably futile.

I run it on Mint myself, I've heard of people running it on Fedora, and for kicks I once managed to install it on a TrueOS machine. (For kicks; there are a million and one reasons why you would not want to run a production machine on BSD!)

20. DominoM

DominoM

Yeah, if you do use another flavour of Linux and plan on doing bug reports, it's a good idea to have an Ubuntu LTS install handy for testing and submitting them. I'm running 2017.3 on Solus 3.99 as my main install.

21. unity_amugus

unity_amugus

linux is free as beer in friday, and unity have a free version, so using a free os with a free engine and free gpu drivers are a good investment! everything is totally free!

VitruvianStickFigure likes this.