Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

Why not using Unity Terrain?

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by Abnsun, Nov 9, 2018 at 4:34 AM.

1. Abnsun

Abnsun

I find the terrains in FPSSample are all just meshes, so the Terrain System is recently updated in Unity, why not using the new Terrain System?
    I wonder which is better work flow, is it good to create terrain in 3rd party DCC application then export as meshes or just using the Unity Terrain System?

2. Janusk

Janusk

Unity Technologies

Hi Abnsun

We chose to use meshes for the terrain because of the type of terrain we wanted :) In Level_01 we have a lot of overhangs and holes in the terrain which are features the current terrain system doesnt really support well on vanilla Unity. Because of this we opted to author the terrain exclusively in 3ds Max and use Polybrush in Unity to finetune the terrain blends using vertex colors.

What workflow is better really depends on your game and what you want to achieve. For a realistic large scale terrains I would definately use Unitys terrain system in confunction with a third party tool for heightmaps and splatmaps. If you want to stay in Unity there are a few solutions available on the asset store and if you prefer to author your terrains in a more specialized program I would say World Machine or Houdini are good 3rd party tools.

For smaller environments without overhangs or very drastic vertical differences you can quite comfortably just use the builtin terrain tools in Unity.

If your environment features a lot of holes and height differences (as we had in Level_01) I would use regular meshes for this.
    What many games do is to use a combination of terrains and custom authored terrain meshes. So for the vast majority you just use a regular terrain but in gameplay dense areas they cut a hole in the terrain and replace that with a custom authored mesh reusing the same textures from the terrain to make the transition seamless. Cutting holes in terrains is a feature that is coming to Unity in 2019.

Sorry for the vague answer but the truth is it really depends what kind of game and setup you want :)

Abnsun and Mauri like this.
  3. Abnsun

Abnsun

Thank you for your reply. Really helpful!!!