Search Unity

Why not to get a Unity Subscription - An expensive mistake

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mikeysee, Dec 2, 2015.

1. Mikeysee

Mikeysee

If I could find one of these mythical beasts who would either do it for a rev share or GUARANTEE that their fee would be paid off within 6 months (ish) then I would do it in a heartbeat.

JayJennings likes this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

How could it possibly not be a major factor? For PC / Console AAA dwindled, their game cycles are one every couple of years. What were Valve etc. supposed to do? Sell coffee mugs?

You don't exactly need a quad core I7 to play Flappy Birds or Crazy cupcakes!. I've got the original Samsung Galaxy note and it's pretty old. Never had an issue playing games on it.. So whilst I'm sure it had something to do with it, it's not exactly caused the days of PC to be numbered.

Also the big elephant in the room is QC, it's blindly obvious the biggest cause is market saturation with mobile. PC is heading the same path too, but it happened for a reason..

3. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

I'd have to agree with you here. Mobile is reaching a fundamentally different player base then consoles and PCs reached. That's why apple and google can set their markets up differently.

Steam has followed because it looked like the strategy worked. It may yet back fire on them.

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm not sure what you're getting at there. I didn't say that either wasn't major. It's just that while they certainly have an impact financial fluctuations are nothing new, where putting gaming devices in many millions of new pockets was a game changer without precedent.

Actually, maybe that's not entirely true. At one stage games were mostly played in arcades, and putting gaming hardware in hundreds of thousands of homes would have been a pretty big shake up. That was a move pushed by the industry, though, where the current changes are being pushed by parties who had little to do with it beforehand.

Deleted User likes this.
  5. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

I blame apple.

its all apples fault

stupid iphone

:p

6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Fixed. ;)

7. goat

goat

$2500 or whatever you paid isn't that expensive especially if you turn it into a worthwhile hobby you enjoy. I've spent that in the asset store and more easily but am glad because it does give me an enjoyable creative outlet that is basically free after the initial outlay of money. Newcomers to Unity have it even better as so much better quality in Unity and assets is available free now.

As far as being discovered, well how many wait staff in NYC and LA are waiting to be discovered? How many musicians, authors, screenplay writers, models, and new college graduates are waiting to be discovered? And those new graduates have expensive loans they must repay. A lot of these people are genuinely more talented then the popular stars of today but who said being big in the music industry or acting or whatnot had anything to do with talent? Most of that is heavily computer tuned voices and pancake makeup and music so similar sounding it's tough to distinguish different songs let alone different artists. Sounds similar to the game market to me.

Try buying a new car and watch the value deflate as soon as you sign the contract to purchase the car, that's expensive but you should still buy a new car every time major safety upgrades become available if you can afford it as they're becoming very sophisticated lately.

8. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

lol great edit...

although these days it would have been

sent from my S***ty android :D

Ryiah and angrypenguin like this.