Search Unity

Why Might Adding An Animation Controller Cause a Character to Lose Movement?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by redapplesonly, Apr 2, 2023.

1. redapplesonly

redapplesonly

Hi all, I'm a Unity newbie, working through this awesome tutorial to build my first 2D game. The game is a side scroller, where you control a player character, using only the <-- and --> characters (left and right arrows). The character's image is built from multiple sprites (see below). When I fire up the game and press the arrow keys, the character zips to the right and the left perfectly, as it should. But then, when I add an animation, the character properly animates, but no longer moves right or left. The animation seems to be interfering with moving the character.

First, some context: I am on Unity 2022.2.10f1 on a Windows 11 machine. My version of Microsoft Visual Studio is Version 17.5.3.

Now to describe my character. (Her name is "Eater", as she's a girl who races left and right across the bottom of the screen trying to catch and eat food that is randomly dropping from the sky.) As I said, the Eater character is made up of multiple sprites. In an attempt to keep organized, I hierarchically placed those sprites in parent containers. (See "Character Heirachy" image, attached) The following code is attached to the player to cause her to move:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void Start()
    2.     {
    3.         rb = GetComponent<Rigidbody2D>();
    4.         anim = GetComponent<Animator>();
    5.     }
    7.     // Update is called once per frame
    8.     void Update()
    9.     {
    10.         if (input != 0)
    11.         {
    12.             // Player is moving
    13.             anim.SetBool("isRunning", true);
    14.         }
    15.         else
    16.         {
    17.             anim.SetBool("isRunning", false);
    18.         }
    20.         if (input < 0)
    21.         {
    22.             // Player is moving right
    23.             transform.eulerAngles = new Vector3(0, 0, 0);
    24.         }
    25.         else if (input > 0)
    26.         {
    27.             // Player is moving left
    28.             transform.eulerAngles = new Vector3(0, 180, 0);
    29.         }
    30.     }
    32.     private void FixedUpdate()
    33.     {
    34.         // We use FixedUpdate() (not Update()) because the Player object uses RigidBody 2D Physics
    35.         input = Input.GetAxisRaw("Horizontal");
    36.         // Move the player:
    37.         rb.velocity = new Vector2(input * speed, rb.velocity.y);
    38.     }
    This all works just great. The script is attached to the "Eater Character" game object, which is the top object in the hierarchy.

But then, I created an Animation Controller with two Animations ("Idle" and "Running") and got the transitions to work just how I want them. So far, so good.

But when I attach the Animation Controller to "Eater Character" - the same object where I attached the C# script - something weird happens. Now when I play the game, the Eater character animates just fine in both her Idle and Running states. If I push the <-- or --> keys, she'll turn to face the direction that I wish to go. But she never physically moves left or right! She simply remains locked in position.

If I remove the Animation Controller, I revert back to the original behavior - the character can move just fine. Adding the Animation Controller seems to be interfering with movement.

(See image "Components" for a view of both the C# script and the Animator Controller in the Component Inspector)

I know this is prob not enough information, but does anyone see what I'm doing wrong? Thank you.

Attached Files: