Search Unity

Why "Meta" and "Inconsistent file ending" are not being treated automatically ?

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by Aladine, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Aladine

Aladine

Hello,

We stopped using CB 2 weeks ago because of the "weird" failing reasons, however last night i was obliged to do it because my partner was traveling and he needed to test our game, but cloud build kept failing and the reasons are ALWAYS either a bunch of these :

Code (CSharp):
    1. [Unity] There are inconsistent line endings in the 'Assets/TheGame/1_Scripts/Missions/SetLevelIcon.cs' script. Some are Mac OS X (UNIX) and some are Windows.
    EDIT: i forgot a very important thing!
    That file with the inconsistent line endings, it's an old script that i didn't touch AT ALL in the past 3 months,

and Cloud Build just randomly decided that these files are now bad, knowing that the latest successful CB was just a month ago :

Or a bunch of these :

Code (CSharp):
    1. [Unity] Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ... A meta data file (.meta) exists but its asset 'Assets/TheGame/2_Graphics/characters/parts' can't be found. When moving or deleting files outside of Unity, please ensure that the corresponding .meta file is moved or deleted along with it.
    Or a collection of these together,

now regarding the file ending thing, I use Windows, my partner use a Mac, we work with UnityCollaborate and that's how we manage to build for multiplatforms, my question is :

Why are these errors not being solved automatically ? because as far as i know, when building from Unity, these kind of things never stops a build, i explicitly tried it now by converting two scripts ending to Windows and Os X, and the build worked fine.

Same thing for .meta, i just went and create a new folder from the unity Editor, then deleted that folder from Windows explorer (leaving the meta file there) made a build, and everything works fine.

Why is this not possible in Cloud Build ?

Note :
    I always do a Clean Build.
    Cloud build settings is set to latest 2017.x
    (we are using the latest 2017.x)

Thank you

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  2. Aladine

Aladine

bump ...

3. PhilMcJ

PhilMcJ

Unity Technologies

Two quick troubleshooting questions: are you strictly using Unity Collaborate to share this project with each other, and to use with Cloud Build, as we investigate possibilities here? Do you encounter the issue regardless of which user (the Windows user or Mac user) has most recently saved changes?

4. Aladine

Aladine

Yes, only collaborate.

The mac user is not a developer, he NEVER pushed, only pulls.

Update :

so i went through all these files with inconsistent line ending (some of them are Shaders that i didn't ever open them in an editor before, neither my friend) and thought i fixed it all, but now am getting this :

Code (CSharp):
    1. 630: [Unity] Fatal error in Unity CIL Linker
    2. 631: [Unity] System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    3. 632: [Unity]   at UnityLinker.UnityDriver.RunDriverWithoutErrorHandling () [0x00001] in <81b71c29c35449f8a666455c78a2dcfb>:0
    4. 633: [Unity] Exception: /UNITY_PATH/Unity/Unity-2017_2_0f3/Unity.app/Contents/il2cpp/build/UnityLinker.exe did not run properly!
    5. 634: [Unity] Player export failed. Reason: 3 errors
    6. 635: ! build of 'light-path-ios' failed. compile failed
    7. 636: publishing finished successfully.
    8. 637: Finished: FAILURE
    thanks