Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Why isn't transform.position.Set working?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by SomeJDude, Feb 13, 2015.

1. SomeJDude

SomeJDude

I am not new to programming or even video game development, but I am very new to Unity, and this one currently has me stumped.

I am following the Space Shooter guide, and currently have a single GameObject in my PlayerController class

Code (CSharp):
    1. public GameObject blastObjTemplate;
    2.     private GameObject blastObj;
    4.     void Awake()
    5.     {
    6.         blastObj = Instantiate(blastObjTemplate, transform.position, transform.rotation) as GameObject;
    7.         blastObj.SetActive(false);
    8.     }
    I then want to have that object appear at the same point as the player after hitting the attack button, so I do this:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         blastObj.SetActive(true);
    2.         blastObj.transform.position.Set(transform.position.x, transform.position.y, transform.position.z);
    But blastObj remains at origin. After debugging the code, I can see that the values for transform.position are as expected, but blastObj.transform.position remains the same after Set. What gives?

2. protopop

protopop

3. SomeJDude

SomeJDude

Okay, that worked. Thanks! Didn't realize that transform.position returned a copy.

protopop likes this.