Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Feature Request Why isn't there a 2d NavMesh?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by MCrafterzz, Jun 20, 2018.

1. MCrafterzz

MCrafterzz

If I haven't missed anything, NavMesh is one of the few eateries that only excist for 3d and not for 2d which seems very weird. As unity is such a big game engine I've never understood why it hasn't been implemented. I think that it's a feature that many people would use and want. So, is it coming anytime soon? Or will it never come?

2. arvzg

arvzg

2D pathfinding is certainly one of many features missing in Unity, the only real reason it's not there is simply that they're just busy working on other features. Looking at the roadmap as well as having watched GDC talks on what's coming in 2018, I don't believe this is a feature they are working on, with the focus on 2D development for 2018 being on skeletal animation and SpriteShapes

Instead of that - I've been working with Aron Granberg's A* Pathfinding project, which has support for 2D games. It's super easy to use and there is a free version that is fairly generous with the features it includes compared to the paid version.

3. Raali_Oloth

Raali_Oloth

if we could make 2d games in x/z instead of x/y we could use 3d navmesh easily

4. ColossalPaul

ColossalPaul

Unity Technologies

We were working but there was a bit of a resource reshuffling around the navmesh team. We got put back to the queue. Please let us work it out. Thanks.

arvzg likes this.
  5. trudeaudm

trudeaudm

This would easily be one of my top desired features.