Search Unity

Why is Unity's profiler so slow and unresponsive in a frame that has a lot of data?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CanisLupus, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Alloc

Alloc

I know that 2018.1 is meant to be the first 2018 version, but what I wanted to know was if this stuff was currently planned to go into 2018.1 or a later release ;)

2. alexeyzakharov

alexeyzakharov

Sorry for that, it was probably overstatement. At that time we didn't have resources to fix the issue.

Talking about exposing data format or public reader API, no, I don't think these can make it to 2018.1, unfortunately.

Peter77 likes this.
  3. dCalle

dCalle

Hey, still got the Issue and I don't what is happening in the background...

The profile probably has its own thread, i get it, but how is this tree saved?

Opening a folder shouldn't be such an issue, and then, there are only a few values presented. So what's the big deal?

I can figure, that cascading and recalculating a share, or adding up gc the tree is cost intensive, but which maniac would do that?
    What about a stored Tree, that does all the calculations ONCE you look into it. reduced to the info needed instead f probably picking data at request time and filtering it with the given settings.

I have opened 24 branches and still haven't gathered any useful information yet, but wasted 10 minutes. The Editor is at the brink of collapse, BECAUSE I AM INTERACTING WITH A DIRECTORY TREE. what is this? Windows 3.1?

Thank GOD Unity has an Asset Store.

4. alexeyzakharov

alexeyzakharov

The issue with slow hierarchy view is fixed in 2018.1 which is in beta now, do you see it there?

The tree is lazy constructed when a level is expanded from a flat raw data. Performance issue was more related to a visualization.

We do a full traversal only once to get all accumulated stats.

You should be able to expand millions of samples in 2018.1

Peter77 likes this.
  5. dCalle

dCalle

alright thanks champ. am looking into it. sry for the outbreak ;-)

6. alexeyzakharov

alexeyzakharov

I understand the feeling. When you are profiling e.g. entering playmode with deep profiling on a big project or just game update, hierarchy window in profiler is unusable...
    So we listened, profiled it and migrated to a new TreeView class which handles scaling much better.

SugoiDev and dCalle like this.
  7. NoobCoderFake

NoobCoderFake

Is it possible to make a pair of method like this:
    Profiler.BeginDeepProfile("name")
    //Deep profile enabled
    Profiler.EndDeepProfile()
    since we just need this work on some specific code.

8. alexeyzakharov

alexeyzakharov

No. Currently deep profiler works through a mono callbacks which involve domain reload to regenerate machine code for the functions with a profiler call injected.

You can try to do the opposite - disable profiling when entering playmode (with Profiler.enabled = false;) while deepprofiling is enabled and enable it only for the particular code segment:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Profiler.enabled = true; // Effective immediately
    2. // Code
    3. Profiler.enabled = false; // Effective immediately

marcospgp likes this.
  9. Baste

Baste

Is there a way to check through script if deep profiling is enabled? Can't find anything in the docs.

alexeyzakharov likes this.
  10. alexeyzakharov

alexeyzakharov

There is undocumented (read it as exposed internal) API - UnityEditor.Profiling.ProfilerDriver.deepProfiling which returns true if deepprofiling is enabled.

marcospgp, NoobCoderFake and Peter77 like this.