Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Unity 5 connecting to pixel.invitemedia.com?

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by Jaimi, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Jaimi

Jaimi

My firewall reports a connection to pixel.invitemedia.com.

Looking at pixel.invitemedia.com they explain:

Invite Media is a high impact demand-side platform that enables advertisers, agencies and agency trading desks to use real-time bidding to buy and optimize online media

Buyers can use Invite Media's technology to set up and manage automated strategies to help facilitate intelligent buying across all major sources of real-time bidded inventory, all in a single interface. With the ability to apply data from any major source, plus the freedom to create business rules for bidding and optimization, Invite Media gives buyers flexible control over campaign performance.

2. Noctys

Noctys

I am not showing them as being accessed by myself anytime in the last 48 hours. Are you sure it's related to Unity. This is everything Unity connects to on my machine:

Capture.PNG

Lablet is the name of the machine I am currently on.

3. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes, but I'm on a Mac. It pops up when the initial dialog allowing you to select your project is displayed.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's Little Snitch, not your firewall. Here, Little Snitch reports access to liquid9.unity3d.com and update.unity3d.com, as well as Google Analytics if you have editor analytics turned on. But nothing else. When Little Snitch informs you about connecting to the site, you can try clicking on the site name and it will tell you about other host names with the same IP address if there are any, which might give you some relevant information.

--Eric

5. Jaimi

Jaimi

Thanks, yes you're right, Little Snitch is the firewall that I use.

Strange that you're not seeing it on the initial window. Perhaps they're using an embedded web browser, and some javascript or cookie on my machine is making it do something different...

6. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

It is most likely for application usage analytics. If you're worried about it, just block it (unless it's for licensing). Lots of apps actually do this. A good example is Photoshop... if you've ever run Photoshop CS6 (desktop version), fire it up and poke around at the traffic with Wireshark. You'll see all kinds of analytics data from the splash screen into the application and you can decrypt it to see what it's sending. It's all mundane and not personally identifiable, but interesting. My guess is that, at least for the Beta, Unity is doing some analytics tracking.

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Well, yes it is, but as I mentioned it uses Google Analytics for that.

--Eric