Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Join us on Dec 8, 2022, between 7 am & 7 pm EST, in the DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A forum, Discord, and Unity3D Subreddit to learn more about DOTS directly from the Unity Developers.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Why is this Compute Shader not writing to a texture unless I set a render target?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by funkyCoty, Sep 28, 2022.

1. funkyCoty

funkyCoty

Here is a simple example:

Code (CSharp):
    2. private void InitializeSDFFromMask(CommandBuffer command)
    3. {
    4.     var volumeDepth = Mask.volumeDepth;
    5.     var compute = volumeDepth > 1 ? settings.data.SDFComputeSPI : settings.data.SDFComputeMP;
    7.     command.SetRandomWriteTarget(0, SDF.GetWriter());
    8.     command.SetComputeTextureParam(compute, kernal_Initialize, compute_id_SDFOutput, SDF.GetWriter(), 0, RenderTextureSubElement.Color);
    9.     command.DispatchCompute(compute, kernal_Initialize, SDF.GetWidth() / 8, SDF.GetHeight() / 8, volumeDepth);
    11.     SDF.Swap();
    12. }
    If I remove 'command.SetRandomWriteTarget(0, SDF.GetWriter());' - the texture will not be written to. If it's there, the texture IS written to.

Here's a simplified version of the compute shader:

Code (CSharp):
    1. [numthreads(8, 8, 1)]
    2. void Initialize(int3 id : SV_DispatchThreadID)
    3. {
    4.     SDFOutput[id.xy] = 1.0;
    5. }
    SDF is just a Render Texture pair (wrapper class to swap between calls). Also, another strange thing is that I see it's inserting unnecessary Clear() draws in the middle of my compute dispatches. What is going on here?

Unity_0gkKVKrlte.png

2. peterbay

peterbay

Unity Technologies

How are you declaring SDFOutput in the compute shader?

3. funkyCoty

funkyCoty

Simple version: it's just a RW_TEXTURE2D<float4>. It's actually a custom macro setup to handle SPI/MP VR rendering based on defines, but in this example it is just a RWTexture<float4> (even when i trim it down to this directly to keep it simple, same result)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
  4. funkyCoty

funkyCoty

Alright so I managed to get it to work without any Clear()s. Instead of creating a RenderTexture and using that as a reference, I instead just added something like:

Code (CSharp):
    1. MyCommandBuffer.GetTemporaryRT()
    For some reason, doing it this way doesn't do a clear and doesn't require using SetRandomWriteTarget(). I don't know if there's some bug with URP/SRP/Unity somewhere in the CommandBuffer/RenderTexture/ComputeShader combo or what. I think there is, but this method works so I'll just be moving forward with it. Overall its a decent speedup, since it doesn't clear.

Here's a before/after pic of the frame debugger for reference.

Unity_0gkKVKrlte.png Unity_erihsXZ7MZ.png