Search Unity

Question Why is there such a huge quality difference between the preview and the deployed package?

Discussion in 'VR' started by PenProd, Jan 20, 2023.

1. PenProd

PenProd

Sorry if the title is a bit unclear. English is not my native language and I didn't really know how to say it otherwise. But this is my problem:

I'm building a game for the Oculus Quest (both 1 & 2). If I preview my scene in Unity's player, it renders it on my Quest 1 through Quest Link. So I know what the Quest is capable of resolution wise. I understand that with the preview, it is actually rendered by the graphics card in my PC so frame rates will not be the same.

Problem is, when I deploy the package to the Quest and run it there, it doesn't even come close to the preview. Even worse, it renders some things in the wrong position/with the wrong size.

Here's an example. Both images are of the exact same scene. The first is a screenshot of the preview (when I press the play button in Unity), the second is a screenshot when I deploy the package to the quest and run it on the Quest. Both screenshots are taken through SideQuest so it's what you actually see on the Quest.

Unity Player:
    upload_2023-1-20_10-3-18.png

Quest:
    upload_2023-1-20_10-4-20.png

There are a few things different. You are looking at a keypad on a UI canvas, with the scene in the background.

A few things become apparent:
    1) The keypad is much smaller than in the preview even though the rest of the scene is the exact same size (and has the exact same POV).
    2) The resolution is much lower, like half of the preview. The smaller letters in the keypad's display are not readable in the second image. If I decrease the distance to the UI canvas so that the keypad becomes the samesize as in the first image, the text still isn't readable.
    3) The entire scene is much darker. This is not so visible in these images because of the UI element, but it really is a lot darker.

So what is causing these differences?

2. PenProd

PenProd

To add, if I compare a bit better, it seems that only my UI elements are using a lower resolution. Everything else is pretty much the same. So it looks like it's scaled?

3. PenProd

PenProd

Aaaaand that kinda answered my own question. It's the canvas scaler that uses different scaling in the player and in the build...

4. PenProd

PenProd

Actually, that's not entirely true. Yes, the UI Canvas was (badly) scaled down so that was the reason it was small and looked like crap. But the rest is also rendered in a lower resolution. So that problem still remains.

5. AndreasWang

AndreasWang

I believe the rendering resolution between native Quest and a PC with Oculus Link can be fairly different. In URP, this is something you can tweak to a degree through the render scale settings, but it seems like there are some additional settings for this on the Oculus app side whenever you are connected through Link.

Whatever is set in the menu on the below screenshot will likely have an impact on the resolution on PC, but not natively as I dont think you can control that there.
    upload_2023-1-20_11-31-35.png