Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions. On July 12, the Unity Forums will become read-only.

Please, do not make any changes to your username or email addresses at id.unity.com during this transition time.

It's still possible to reply to existing private message conversations during the migration, but any new replies you post will be missing after the main migration is complete. We'll do our best to migrate these messages in a follow-up step.

On July 15, Unity Discussions will become read-only until July 18, when the new design and the migrated forum contents will go live.

Read our full announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.

Question Why is there no "Windows (IL2CPP)" build module for macOS installations of Unity?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by myke-synnett, May 29, 2023.

1. myke-synnett

myke-synnett

I'm curious as to why there is no "Windows (IL2CPP)" build module for macOS installations of Unity? I see the Mac build support on macOS has IL2CPP, but Windows and Linux only have Mono. Is there a way to add IL2CPP build support, or a work around or something?

2. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Because of difficulty getting the Windows MSVC compiler to work on macOS, we don't have support for this cross-compilation scenario. If you do want to build a Windows Desktop Standalone Player on macOS, you can do so with the Mono scripting backend.

3. myke-synnett

myke-synnett

Thanks for the info. That's pretty much in line with what I figured the answer would be

JoshPeterson likes this.
  4. AntonPetrov

AntonPetrov

@JoshPeterson Hi Joshua. Do you consider switching to clang or gcc for cross compiling anywhere in the future? Would be great to be able to build all platforms from macOS (our common build-server)

5. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

Honestly, I don't expect this to be supported soon. I'm not even sure if clang or gcc on macOS are capable of cross compiling to Windows. I feel like it would be difficult to get the standard library for Windows available on macOS. So unfortunately, this is not something we plan to support for IL2CPP.

With that said, it is possible to cross-compile player build for desktop platforms with the Mono scripting backend.

Spy-Master likes this.