Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is the text 'hi' replaced with $$anonymous$$ in almost every post

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by renedon, Jan 8, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. renedon

renedon

awsapps likes this.
  2. Amon

Amon

Let me pave the way for others to come in and explain fully why Unity Answers has problems. :)

anycolourulike and awsapps like this.
  3. Antypodish

Antypodish

Must have been inside job:D

awsapps likes this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

This forum isn't littered with them. Unity Answers is its own thing using a different system. A system that they no longer want to support but were unable to turn off thanks to community backlash. It's a miracle it's working at all.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-answers-shutdown-canceled.1293360/

Antypodish likes this.
  5. Cypherfox

Cypherfox

Greetings,
    This was driving me insane also, so I built this Userscript (in Chrome it's installed using Tampermonkey):
    Code (JavaScript):
    1. // ==UserScript==
    2. // @name         Fix Unity Answers
    3. // @namespace    http://cypherfox.com/
    4. // @version      0.1
    5. // @description  Just clean up the Unity Answers pages to fix $$anonymous$$ replacing 'hi' everywhere.
    6. // @author       Cyberfox
    7. // @match        https://answers.unity.com/*
    8. // @grant        none
    9. // ==/UserScript==
    11. (function() {
    12.     'use strict';
    14.     document.body.innerHTML = document.body.innerHTML.replace(/\$\$anonymous\$\$/g, "hi");
    15. })();
    That seems to fix it, and make those pages usable again.

6. renedon

renedon

Ah, thanks for your Answers. Shame it's a bit of a mess with some politics involved. I'm glad they didn't take it offline as I often end up here from a Google Search!

Love your trick Cypherfox!

7. Amon

Amon

Please note that it took @Cypherfox 5 minutes to come up with that fix yet Unity, a multi million dollar company, has yet to pull their finger out and do anything about it.

It beggars belief that they can't take an hour out of the web teams time to make it read-only, fix the bugs and put it in archive mode.

In fact, I find Unity's stance to the state of Unity Answers quite pathetic. It borders on childish behaviour.

adam_unity450 and Novack like this.
  8. neginfinity

neginfinity

The situation where a tiny problem stays broken for years is actually not that unusual for "multi million dollar company".

There's a tiny glitch in Visual Studio that annoys me to no end and would probably take two lines of code to fix.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48214181/visual-studio-remove-space-before-brackets

It existed for at least 5 years, but possibly has been around for 18.
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/F...-curly-brace-on-same-line?forum=csharpgeneral

It has been reported by several people and has been dismissed every time. Neither VSCode nor MonoDevelop has this problem.

So here's a multi-million dollar corporation for you.

Ryiah and stain2319 like this.
  9. Murgilod

Murgilod

A tiny formatting bug is a far sight different to something that makes entire pages unreadable if they contain a common two letter string. Hell, it's used 26 times in this thread alone.

To say nothing of how recently comments stopped loading at all. Plenty of important information was contained in those.

10. LethalGenes

LethalGenes

Maybe it’s to do with the anonymous cult following. Did you check YouTube for a conspiracy?

11. Murgilod

Murgilod

Oh yeah man for sure, that's gotta be it.

12. neginfinity

neginfinity

That "tiny formatting bug" existed for over a decade and renders the product unusable for me. It is a deal breaker level problem, because it interferes with coding every time you write a curly brace. Which makes it comparable with that "anonymous" nonsense.

The thing is a "big multi million company" will usually focus on features that "affects a lot of users", meaning an issue like that will never be addressed and can remain unsolved for a millennium, easily. Or several.

Another thing is that "focusing on things that affect a lot of people" can in theory lead to loss of userbase. Because while you address a minor issue that affects 50%, a major issue for 10% can cause that 10% to leave. Repeat that process enough times, and there will be nobody left.

13. halley

halley

Geeze, if people keep chewing their cud about the Answers debacle here on the completely separate Forum, there'll be more $$anonymous$$ chaff on the Forum than on Answers.

LethalGenes likes this.
  14. Murgilod

Murgilod

T$$anonymous$$s really isn't t$$anonymous$$s ac$$anonymous$$ngly huge problem compared to $$anonymous$$ replacing all instances of $$anonymous$$ and I t$$anonymous$$nk you know that. W$$anonymous$$le it's somewhat annoying, what you're describing is a $$anonymous$$ccup that should, at most, elicit a slight w$$anonymous$$ne compared to somet$$anonymous$$ng that $$anonymous$$jacks two letters and replaces then with a string long enough that it can't be easily parsed at all.

What I'm trying to say is that t$$anonymous$$s ain't it, c$$anonymous$$ef.

15. LethalGenes

LethalGenes

Chewing their cud from the ruminant stomach.

That’s hilarious

I think there are four dollar signs for a reason. So maybe it’s just the nature of capitalism. You know how American business can be. But now I am writing the conspiracy! Yeah I totally think it’s connected to anonymous the profiteer clan.

16. Murgilod

Murgilod

I genuinely can't tell if you're being sarcastic or if you're out of your mind.

17. LethalGenes

LethalGenes

oh no I assure I am indeed out of my mind

18. Amon

Amon

This is why companies like Unity hire people like you. They hire you to bleat on about how it's ok and avoid the issue and make it sound like it's a normal thing, that others are doing it and that nothing should be done about it and everything is fine. Then it remains an issue for 10 years.

You see though 10 years is a way longer amount of time than the 1 hour it would take to fix it but that's ok isn't it and Unity should leave it because other companies do the same.

Pathetic.

19. neginfinity

neginfinity

What the hell.

At the moment, you're arguing against something I never said and getting angry because of it. Take a cold shower then train reading comprehension.

Nope.

That formatting problem that looks tiny and insignificant to you, is order of magnitude more annoying to me than your text, which I can read just fine due to have plenty of experience reading poorly translated gibberish.

Also, like Amon, you're arguing against something I did not say, but you imagined.

Technically, if you give a damn about unity community continuing to exist, you're supposed to care about atmosphere you both create. Because having helpful community with plenty of helpful people with technical expertise used to be one of the unity's strengths.

MarcSpraragen and LethalGenes like this.
  20. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

The community finally got in line with the company policy on how Unity’s strengths should be treated.

21. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm arguing against your fundamental premise that hinges on these things being remotely comparable. You personally being annoyed by a single whitespace character is dramatically different than a coding resource being effectively unreadable, where code snippets can not even be copied and pasted and expected to compile if you don't know what character is being replaced.

The reason a whitespace is low priority compared to that should be obvious.

Amon likes this.
  22. Amon

Amon

Well, because of the lack of elaboration from your part, and only posting that Microsoft do it, lead to my reply. And I stick by it. Next time don't leave your self open to being questioned by making posts like that.

23. neginfinity

neginfinity

Just switch to another engine already, or roll out your own.

No, blowing the gasket over nothing without any provocation was entirely your fault.

I do not find arguing over this useful.

In both cases, small number of people affected by the problem, hence it will never be fixed, because the company is focused on the "big things". Small number of people read unity answers, and small number of people are reporting whitespace problem.

So the situation is not just comaprable, it is identical, and there's nothing to "argue" about.

24. Murgilod

Murgilod

Literally everyone using Unity Answers encountering a string replacement bug with wide-reaching ramifications on the site that has persisted for years is not the same as a whitespace. Maybe you should seek the help of a mental health professional if you're unable to differentiate between the two. This sort of thing has been getting consistently worse coming from you.

halley and Amon like this.
  25. neginfinity

neginfinity

Which is a small number/minority of people, because most know by now that unity answers is dead, main source of information about unity is google which leads to unity forums, unity docs and stackoverflow, and newbies go straight to youtube, while skillfully dodging unity learn, script reference and manual. Last time I answered anything there was probably 6 years ago, complaints about "post pending approval forever" started appearing probably 5 years ago.

So the situation is the same. It is something that affects minority, because the resource is dead and people barely use it.

At the moment, you're wasting time, both mine and yours, on a pointless semantic "argument", and "victory" of either side will result in nothing. Work on your game instead.

P.S. Honestly, all things considered, forums will probably follow the same fate soon, as asking questions, most of the time is pointless - there's either no response or you solve it yourself.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
  26. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Closed. Just arguing at this point.

27. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Hey all, I do want to add that we’ve heavily prioritized a resolution to this problem, caused by a 3rd party/vendor software. Thanks for your patience!

jeromeWork, Novack, chelnok and 22 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.