Search Unity

Why is the shooting script attached to the camera?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by warrenbrandt, Jul 28, 2019.

1. warrenbrandt

warrenbrandt

i watched a tutorial that got my character shooting

but why was the script attached to the camera? shouldnt there be a separate object called playershoot or something where the script should be attached?

i moved the script and set everything up but this line in my shooting script complains

target = transform.GetComponent<Camera>().ScreenToWorldPoint(new Vector3(Input.mousePosition.x, Input.mousePosition.y, transform.position.z));

its moaning about camera, i tried putting in the object name where the script is now sitting but it wont work as i suspected because this line is getting the borders of the screen via the camera, right?

i was initially trying to destroy objects (the bullets) when they leave the screen and on my test it works, but when i try attach the code to my shooting script it was moaning about no rigidbody2d being available because the script is applied to a camera not a rigidbody2d ...how can i manage all this?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

That line of code converts the position of the mouse, on screen, to a 3D position in the world. To that you of course need a camera.

So that's a decent reason to attach the script to the camera object; then you can get the camera simply via GetComponent<Camera>().

If you want to put the script somewhere else, then you can instead change that bit to Camera.main, which is a reference to the main camera in the scene.

Ryiah likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

Alternatively, if you have multiple cameras and the main camera isn't necessarily the player, you can create a public field for the class of type camera, assign the player camera to it in the Inspector, and then reference that field.

Code (csharp):
    1. public Camera playerCamera;
    Code (csharp):
    1. target = playerCamera.ScreenToWorldPoint(new Vector3(Input.mousePosition.x, Input.mousePosition.y, transform.position.z));

JoeStrout likes this.