Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is the scene view backwards

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by reptilebeats, Feb 15, 2015.

1. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

Hey i was just wandering why in the scene the gizmo says "back" when it should be "front", am i missing something?

2. StarManta

StarManta

Define "should be front". By what metric are you using to judge this? Which side do you think is supposed to be "front"?

Keep in mind, if you have an unrotated transform, "transform.forward" is facing Z positive. The behavior of the gizmo (on my editor here), when I click that arrow (the one coming FROM Z positive, facing Z negative), is to say "Front". For any object that is oriented that way as a transform (Z positive = forward), I would indeed be looking at the front of the thing. It seemed a little counterintuitive at first but it is correct.

3. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

oh it was more just because when your in front and go left its saying right, where as if your facing back and go left it says left. also when u go into 2d your viewing back. i know it doesnt actually effect anything i would just prefer it, if the gizmo was the other way around as personal preference. wonder if i could change it

4. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

If you look at someone's front, and ask them to hold up their left hand, it will be on your right. Same with 3D coordinates. It can be confusing when doing UI's and things that you're looking at from the "front" though, because right is left and left is right. That's why Unity's new UI faces backwards by default, so you view it from the "back" and then left is left and right is right.

DanSuperGP likes this.
  5. DanSuperGP

DanSuperGP