Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is the New Unity Broken?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by GameDaddy, Apr 25, 2021.

?

Should Unity Builds be released with critical errors in them?

Poll closed May 2, 2021.
  1. No, the game engine should work when launched.

85.7%
  2. Yes, I'll work around it if I can, or fix this problem myself if it is something I can fix.

14.3%
  1. GameDaddy

GameDaddy

The newest install is throwing a critical error when launching Unity, and the Editor Scene Manager is broken. Pls fix this at the earliest opportunity so I can resume game creation...

Attached Files:

amiel_ace likes this.
  2. GameDaddy

GameDaddy

That was an easy fix.

I tried just commenting out the broken function in Unity 2020.3.5.f1 and encountered more FUBAR code meaning some genius messed up a bunch of code with the latest release. I have no time to be fixing that though, and just want to make games... that work.

I went back and am using Unity 2020.3.2f1 and everything is working okay.

amiel_ace and vertexx like this.
  3. vendaar

vendaar

Nobody messed up code here. Better read and try to understand the console output before you jump on conclusions and blaming others for what is happening. It's always ok to ask but just being that harsh doesnt put this in a good light and people are not eager wanting to help you :)

Your project is using a PREVIEW (prerelese test version) build of a package that most likely got renamed.
    If you switch between different version of Unity in a project for whatever reasons it is allways a good idea to just delete the Library folder and reload the project if you encounter these kinds of errors.

tree_arb, Ryiah and Schneider21 like this.
  4. Schneider21

Schneider21

Wow. Are you the type of person who goes up to the customer service counter at a store and starts yelling at the attendant working the desk because a button popped off a shirt you ordered there a few weeks ago?

As @vendaar said, this isn't a problem with the Unity editor. The Post Processing package is currently on version 3.1.0. The version you're using (2.0.3) is over 3 years old, and likely isn't compatible with Unity 2020.3.5f1.

It's normal to be frustrated by errors you don't understand, but it takes a stunning combination of lack of knowledge and ego to go posting something as accusatory and inflammatory as you have.

Ryiah and JoNax97 like this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

The first thing you need to do when you upgrade a project to a new version of Unity is (beside backing up your project but that goes without saying hey?) making sure all the packages that are installed are either up to date or compatible with your project.

That's what you should have done first.

Ryiah, Joe-Censored and Schneider21 like this.
  6. vertexx

vertexx

Most non-fanboys are getting fed up and or frustrated with these new versions.
    The need to fix these updates and to relearn these new updates takes away the pleasure of actually using Unity for noobs like me and probably causes financial problems and hair tearing with "proper" devs.
    By the time all is "fixed" lo and behold another .xxx is added on with even more problems.
    We aren't all script genius'/code fixers you know. I do sympathise with GameDaddy. The replies to him are unfortunately biased. All his/our fault..never the haphazard way that Unity seems to things or explain things. So many folk getting back to older versions now. Cannot blame them at all!

amiel_ace, tree_arb and JasonBricco like this.
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Except there isn't a need to fix them or relearn them because aside from very rare occasions neither standalone nor mobile force you to migrate to newer releases. In fact looking it up again the last time Android required us to move to a new release was the year you joined the community to add 64-bit support. Almost seven years ago.

There is an easy solution to this and both of you have already taken that first step towards it by creating an account on the official forums, and both of you have done so from time to time, but you'd be surprised at the number of people that just show up to complain. For those people it's hard to be sympathetic.

Speaking of which let's cover what's actually wrong here. He's currently running v2.0.3 of the post processing package which was released in 2018 for Unity 2018.1+. The latest release of the post processing package is made for Unity 2018.4+ and was released in 2020.

To my knowledge the only way to have been on v2.0.3 is to have started the project with Unity 2018. He has therefore been updating Unity but completely neglecting the packages to the point that he's running them years out of date.

Is that necessarily his fault? To refresh my memory I updated an older project to a newer release and I didn't notice anywhere that Unity stated packages may have to be updated manually. Additionally most of the information is tied up in blog posts. Skip them and you miss a great deal about how they work and behave.

With all of the above said think about it for a moment. What does that it say about an engine that it's capable of functioning largely problem free with at least one package that is more than two years out of date? That doesn't suggest to me that Unity is in a bad state at all. Quite the opposite.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
  8. Schneider21

Schneider21

@vertexx I get why you think there's a lot of bias here, and you're not necessarily wrong in saying that. I mean, it is a forum full of people who choose freely to use the product in question. It's not like I just bought a computer and it came with Unity pre-installed, and that's my only option for making games.

If you don't like Unity, that's totally fine. You're absolutely allowed to not use it. There are some great alternatives these days.

What I have a problem with is someone who clearly doesn't know how to use the product (I mean, come on... the error message is right there...) complaining about the product being broken and insulting the intelligence of the people who work hard to provide updates to it. Regardless of how you feel about frustrations related to differences between versions, how is that type of behavior called for?

At work, we're using 2019.4, since that's the version we started the project with and it's stable. That's generally how professional Unity developers work. Why upgrade a project to the latest version unless you need the features that version would provide you? It seems clear to me that the OP is more of a tinkerer who upgraded an older project just because they wanted to see what's new in the latest version, ignored the "backup your project first" message, and then started with the accusations right away instead of even trying to figure out what the problem was. That isn't Unity's fault... that's just being a bad developer.

I've been using Unity for 8 or 9 years now, and I have plenty of problems with both the Editor and the platform as a whole. But I still use it in all my projects because I've tried the alternatives and prefer this one. That doesn't make me biased... it makes me qualified to speak on the subject!

I'm also far from a genius. If it was a spectrum, I'd fall closer to the Idiot side. But I do know to troubleshoot a problem without resorting to insults and blaming someone else for my decisions, which is also the bare minimum I expect from others seeking assistance.

JasonBricco and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  9. This is why we can't have nice things.

Don't worry, Unity prefers developers like yourself, who expect nice and complicated things but don't want to learn how to use them properly. They are moving back the packages into the editor and took away the possibility to discover and list all the experimental packages too.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  10. Schneider21

Schneider21

Wait, for real?! :(

11. Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2021
  12. Schneider21

Schneider21

Ah, gotcha. I stopped messing with Preview packages when I tried picking up Unity ECS and it just didn't feel like it was worth it until it was more fleshed out. It probably is the right move to separate them out so you have to work harder to use something in that early state, anyway. It won't eliminate posts like this one, but it should maybe reduce them.

13. Ryiah

Ryiah

My impression from the blog post is that they're continuing to move towards a modular game engine.

I don't have a problem with this approach as if you know you want a package you likely know where to obtain it too and it's fairly common outside of Unity (eg Linux packages).

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Err... not quite true. You need to enable their visibility in the Project Settings, Package Manager tab.

15. Those are the preview packages. The experimental packages aren't listed in the editor (as the blog post actually explains). Some of them are listed in this topic: https://forum.unity.com/forums/experimental-pre-release-packages.549/
    Some of them only in their own topic only.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well, I can see them in 2021.1 and the first post by @LeonhardP mentions:

17. Once you install a package, you will see it in that project, yes. Otherwise, you don't. But I wrote just that above. Discover and listing. Not seeing... but whatever. I guess my English is bad or something.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Okay, I deinstalled the experimental packages and they do not show in the packages list. Being Linux specific packages, I can still reinstall them from the Project Settings though.

Well, I can go with that, as long as we are informed about these experimental packages and how to install them. :) And sorry for reading your posts too fast.

19. Yes, once you installed the experimental package, you can see it. But if you didn't, you can't see it. Check your Unity Repository for for example ProGrids package. It shouldn't be there if you aren't using it.
    Now, read my post here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/what-happened-to-progrids.889885/#post-7064680
    If you install it manually, it shows up. But to be able to install it manually, you need to know the 'name' of the package (the URL-kind of thing: com.unity.progrids).