Search Unity

Why is Skybox Light affect my enclosed space?

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by tektonspace, Aug 9, 2018.

1. tektonspace

tektonspace

upload_2018-8-9_18-43-23.png

Hi guys, thanks for checking my post.
    Well, I am currently developing a scene (an enclosed train station with just a small entrance)and encountered a lighting problem which I cant handle..

upload_2018-8-9_18-45-13.png
    this is interior view of the building above.
    the lighting in this area should be dark, only affected by some of the lights coming from the
    emissive meshes(LightBulb on top) and the hole on the entrance.

But it seems skybox lighting keeps on brightening this area.
    I know I can turn skybox off as well as directional light, But I dont think thats proper way of handling
    this issue.

I want my interior to look just like this scene!
    this scene is also developed in Unity, But it seems skybox is not affecting the interior at all.
    I am using Realtime GI. and since this is only for testing, I am not planning to use any light baking method.

I have googled about this issue for like a half a day and still, cant find a decent solution to this matter.

Help me please!

thanks guys.

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Does it darken if you turn down the environment reflection probe intensity in the lighting panel?

macka1080 likes this.
  3. tektonspace

tektonspace

@AcidArrow Thanks for your reply, but it doesnt really affect the whole scene. just a reflection.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It looks like you have a directional light in the scene (maybe without shadows?). Either turn the shadows on, or disable the directional light.

5. tektonspace

tektonspace

Hey AcidArrow, I have tried to turn the directional light off but the blue tint still remains. thanks again!

6. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Hi guys - I had the same problem on my project recently, it was the 'Indirect intensity' in the Lighting settings tab, I'm using the Progressive Lightmapper. Your issue might not be the same, however it sounds very similar... so mentioning here, just in case.

7. tektonspace

tektonspace

[Solved]

Well after days of further research, I found out the solution to this problem. It was just a matter of me lacking a proper knowledge behind Unity's lighting system. Even if you are using a realtime GI, the GI baking process still takes place.
    And In realtime GI, Dynamic objects do not receive indirect lighting and it only takes ambient lighting.
    So in fact, my main problem was that the walls were left as dynamic.
    After setting my walls to "static", voila! everything works the way I wanted to be. If you want your dynamic object to receive proper lighting, you can place light probes in the desired area.

nglasl and HenryTownshend like this.
  8. radiantboy

radiantboy

that's great but what about non static npcs etc. I am having same issue right now, seems my skybox makes anything non static pink, based on the pinkish colour of the skybox. I want to turn this off entirely. But how ?

9. ViooGames

ViooGames

well i opened this thread because of some different lighting doubt so here it is if someone wants skybox to not affect your scene

Just change the source from skybox to a solid color and then select an ambient color

scene.JPG

10. Pawciu

Pawciu

In my case it was "Environment Reflections" displayed in post above. Changing "Source" from Skybox to Custom fixed the skybox color interference

Kaynoux, ronniej2 and blueivy like this.