Search Unity

Why is PCache now private?

Discussion in 'Visual Effect Graph' started by scottgarner, Feb 9, 2020.

1. scottgarner

scottgarner

I'm not sure if the VFX team watches this forum, but in a PR last fall (4498), the very useful PCache utility class was marked as private. Why? This seems to be the quickest, easiest way to build new editor tools to create PCache files with attributes beyond the limited set provided by the Point Cache Bake Tool.

andybak likes this.
  2. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

PCache is now internal because we dont consider it as final and give us the possibility to modify the API if needed for the moment. Point caches are being refactored for 2020.2.

3. andybak

andybak

How about just using a warning? I feel you tend to be overcautious about protecting us from ourselves.

1. Things that aren't private break all the time. We're used to it.
    2. We tend to be cautious about updating Unity versions. This largely mitigates the concerns about breakage.

Just put up a warning sign and treat us like adults!

4. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

And 2020.2 is far away...

5. PhilSA

PhilSA

I feel the same as @andybak . Open up everything and give us warnings instead.

ShaderGraph is another example of a tool that greatly suffers because of this "can't expose APIs subject to change" mindset. We can't have access to the Node API to create custom masternodes, which means that asset store creators can't make cool things with it to share with the community... which means the entire tool is jeopardized, and people are looking at other solutions instead, and everyone loses.

Feel free to make breaking changes as much as you want, and let us worry about upgrading our things. "Auto-upgradability" is a luxury. It doesn't matter if some advanced features aren't auto-upgradeable

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    jvidziunas and cAyouMontreal like this.