Search Unity

Why is my TextMesh Pro text is blurry?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by retropxgames, Jun 21, 2019.

1. retropxgames

retropxgames

Hello.
    My TextMesh Pro text is blurry. I can fix it with decreasing "Softness" and increasing "Dilate" from "Face" menu but in this way, my text becomes so sharp and angular.
    What should I do?

https://pasteboard.co/IktAydZ.png

2. retropxgames

retropxgames

Okay, I fixed it.
    If you wondering how I did this;

I JUST SCALED IT UP AND DECREASED THE FONT SIZE LMAAOOOOO

3. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

Blurriness / or overly sharp text is usually related to SDF Scaling. Incorrect scaling can happen when the text object's scale is not uniform or when switching the Canvas from Overlay to Screen Space Camera. In most cases, changing any properties of the text object and most certainly point size will resolve that.

Extra Insight: SDF Scale is passed to the shader via the UV2 which means any time the size / scale of the text object or its parent changes, the SDF Scale needs to be updated. The alternative is to use Screen Space Derivative which adds per pixel operations in the pixel shader which used to be too costly but as mobile devices have gotten so much faster, this is becoming almost negligible where I am considering switching to Screen Space Derivative which would enable me to remove the need to handle size / scale changes on the text which is the source of the blurriness / harshness.

futurlab_xbox likes this.
  4. retropxgames

retropxgames

Thanks for your reply,
    Texts are so clear in Screen Space - Overlay mode but I'm using World Space render mode. Because, for example in Screen Space - Overlay mode, i have a newspaper on my game screen and texts on it. When i move my newspaper to the left, texts are doesn't moving in same rate with newspaper.
    You can see an example of this from the url below;
    https://pasteboard.co/IkB18xK.jpg

5. chetan221b

chetan221b

For me the fix was to increase the atlas resolution while creating the SDF font from TTF files.