Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is Find References In Scene still not working in Unity 2019.3 ?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by AppBite, Jun 16, 2020.

1. AppBite

AppBite

When I first started using Unity (around v3.5) "Find References In Scene" didn't work.

It's now 8 years later and it still doesn't work.

I see a Font in the Build report, I highlight it, click "Find" and the whole scene lights up like a Christmas tree, selecting hierarchy items that don't have the font attached at all. It's not a complex scene, it's a little puzzle game, it picks prefabs and non-prefabs, but every one of them has a different font. (I have yet to find a single item it picked with this font attached to it)

2. SpicyCatGames

SpicyCatGames

This frustrates me to no end. I would not have used UnityEvents in my project in favor of C# events had I know that Find references in scene doesn't work.

3. _eternal

_eternal

I had no idea this was broken until today. I'm encountering the same problem with trying to find references to a prefab in the scene.

4. Kokowolo

Kokowolo

I'm working on a legacy project, and it seems to be impossible to find all the references of an asset with this feature broken. Please fix this Unity :(

(I'm on Unity 2020.1.6f1)

pzohner likes this.
  5. pzohner

pzohner

Same here. This would be fantastic if it actually worked! Just tried to use it and sifting through a bunch of unrelated game objects is frustrating.

Kokowolo likes this.
  6. Incole

Incole

YES! Please, hear us. Unity, and fix this essentials!

agupta123 likes this.
  7. IOU_RAY

IOU_RAY

I always thought it was just slow, so never used it until I had an issue with an individual script that seemed like it may have been attached to an object in a very large scene. The best way to find out if this was the case was to try to use this.

After it crashing unity twice, it froze the editor at runtime for almost 30 minutes straight and I decided to try waiting.

It actually finished and found tons of references completely unrelated....when I attempted to click on a single filtered reference, Unity crashed a third time.

Unity in a nutshell. This is hilariously sad and par for the course.

You guys keep doing these surveys and sending invites to people to get opinions on things like multiplayer service....well I say this with constructive intent....perhaps stay away from trying to add and doing more (That you'll likely botch like Collab Service) because you can't even seem to get your core in a good spot these days and it is quite frustrating for most of us to work with.

8. Starbox

Starbox

IOU_RAY likes this.
  9. IOU_RAY

IOU_RAY

That asset is great, BUT it shouldn't be required to substitute for extremely old broken functionality literally contained in the context menu

upload_2022-3-13_18-13-28.png

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  10. Starbox

Starbox

Yeah I know, it sucks, but at least it will prevent people from eating their keyboard out of sheer rage and exhaustion.

IOU_RAY likes this.
  11. GXMark

GXMark

Unity 2023.1.0f1 - I'm dropping a prefab into my scene script component. It does not find it. So dangerous because i nearly deleted my prefab from my project. Come on unity thats basic core feature. Please remove it from your menu's if you don't intend to fix after 3 years !

ScottJustScott likes this.
  12. neviovalsa

neviovalsa

Unity 2022.3.0 - Still having the same issue.