Search Unity

Question Why is dynamic batching of shadows not supported in URP?

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by o1o101, Jul 13, 2021.

1. o1o101

o1o101

I checked the feature comparison table, in older versions it appeared to be "In Research" now it is just "Not Supported".

Seems like a large oversight for people who are using the classic Dynamic & Static batching combo, without necessarily needing nor wanting GPU instancing and the SRP batcher.

My whole level batches very well without shadows by Dynamic batching due to shared atlases and low vertex counts of unique meshes, so GPU instancing doesn't make much sense, though dynamic batching performs excellent.
    Although with shadows, first I don't see why GPU Instancing makes sense with shadows, especially when you have the great benefit of all shadows being able to use the same material, seems to me like the perfect opportunity for some easy dynamic batching.

Using the SRP batcher is out of the question as of now for me as its CPU usage is such a bottleneck on my target platforms.
    I would also very much like to avoid moving back to built in as the project is already deeply using URP, it would be a massive hassle to switch back.

May I ask why this is, and if there are any plans to support it?

Edit: And one more question, if this is an easy change, could anyway from Unity point me to the right area/scripts in the SRP repo to make this change?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    rduret and PutridEx like this.
  2. PutridEx

PutridEx

I was surprised by this as well. Especially since it's not the lightweight render pipeline anymore, it's 'universal'.
    Years down the road and more or less, it's the same features as built-in with some missing. I was convinced 2021 was the LTS for URP, no more new built-in projects, now i'm telling myself it's 2022 LTS. I'm sure when the time comes, I'll convince myself that 2023 LTS is the one without a doubt. Hopefully not.

Unfortunately the biggest bottleneck in unity is almost always the CPU threads.

rduret and o1o101 like this.