Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Why is ctrl+B a thing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LEDWORKS, Oct 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LEDWORKS

LEDWORKS

God damn Ctrl+B!
    Considerring a build takes 4-6 hours nowadays, accidentally hitting it while pasting objects around is a nightmare and interupts production, forcing a restart, daily.
    Why is it a thing?
    Who is too lazy to go to the build settings to run a build and why can't we disable the hotkey function?

2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Try the shortcut manager?
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityHotkeys.html

600, Graham-B and Amon like this.
  3. Anaxis_Studio

Anaxis_Studio

Why didn't you search Google? why come straight to Unity and vent about a non-issue? it's so pointless.

I can only imagine Unity made the terrible mistake of assuming people would use their brain in order to re-assign default keys.

Edit > Shortcuts > search "build" and voila... change the shortcut so ctrl + b does not automatically build (took me 6 seconds).

How are you going to call other people lazy when your issue could be resolved in literally 6 seconds if you were not lazy yourself. Google "unity editor rebind keys"? nah, just come to the forums and vent about an non-existant issue.

"forcing a daily restart" lol some people. Don't blame Unity for your own mistakes/laziness.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    Amon likes this.
  4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

It is a mindless hotkey though. Kind of goes against the logic of why you have hotkeys in teh first place. For things you do a lot and by second nature.

It looks like with the newest versions of unity they are getting smarter about workflow stuff like this. Finally we have in built and sensible deselect key.

People say unity doesn't need to make their own games cause they consult developers, but I think that's not smart. Twenty minutes of working in the editor and you know you need a deselect hotkey but not a build hotkey. And yeah I know any competent programmer can make tools like this in 5 minutes... but they shouldnt need to waste time making the software have basic efficiency.

Anyway, it's getting a lot better so I'm happy.

Next up we need basic UI preferences like changing size and behavior of gizmos. And better window docking management. All you gotta do is look at the modern 3d DCC's and copy what they do. Littlle things like this shave off seconds and add up to hours saved in workflow each day. And the bigger benefit is that when you can work as fast as you can think without hiccups, you get much less fatigued. And thus, you can do more and better work.

It may not be as important for programmers as more of their work is done via typing, but for the artist/designer who is largely working in scene view and with mouse, having smooth, smart tools makes all the difference in the world.

I'm sure OP was being extra dramatic because this S*** can be really frustrating sometimes, but small stuff like this is easy to fix but makes a big difference. So it's very worthwhile to gripe about IMO. (though there is probably a better place to send actual request to unity staff)

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    MattDavis and daisySa like this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

How large is your project? Because I'm working on a 70+ GB project and aside from the initial two hours to build all of the shader variants it only takes me about 20 minutes to build.

DezBoyle likes this.
  6. tylerguitar75

tylerguitar75

I agree with OP. Hotkeys should be for things that are repetitive and fast, not things you do once in awhile and that result in a long process. It's kind of a design issue, albeit a very minor one.

Ony likes this.
  7. iamthwee

iamthwee

8. Antypodish

Antypodish

When starting project, everything is small. Hence fast.

Once you build up project, you build up skills and workflow.
    Also adjusting working tools to your needs.
    You don't just wake up suddenly with large project from nowhere, realizing something is not working as expected.

xVergilx and Amon like this.
  9. ikazrima

ikazrima

I'm pretty sure even Vs have the ctrl+b to build shortcut. So probably Unity was just following what they think is the standard stuff.

10. Antypodish

Antypodish

Currently is F6. Not sure how was 5 years ago however. Maybe changed.

11. The standard used to be F9.
    IMG_20190801_175602.jpg

12. Murgilod

Murgilod

This topic is kinda pointless after the first reply, huh.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I too prefer the old days of game dev before every tiny thing became a big bitter issue. Locked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.