Search Unity

Why is C# so similar to Java?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by sp356069, Dec 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sp356069

sp356069

Why is C# so similar to java?

[mod edit: link removed]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2019
  2. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

3. csofranz

csofranz

Hmm... it was christmas eve and the OP probably couldn't sleep due to a sugar high -- and was waiting for boxing day.

Still, that's an impressively misleading response. In a (simplified) nutshell: Java (the platform) was developed as an explicit alternative to C/C++, because Naughton hated the C/C++ environment and then teamed up with Gosling to develop the JAVA platform (the distinction here being that JAVA was designed as a combination of compiler, Garbage collection, a framework and virtual machine, as opposed to a language based on the standard compilers of that the time that simply compiled straight to machine code and did not come with extensive frameworks -- NeXT Step did exist, and was probably an inspiration). The language itself was designed with object-oriented concepts from ground up (unlike C), borrows from Smalltalk and Objective C (Naughton was a NeXT enthusiast) and was based on Will Joy's Oak.If there is something JAVA isn't, it's being part of the C family.

The real reason C# is so similar to JAVA is because Scott McNealy and Andreessen envisioned JAVA as a system that ran on every platform, making the underlying OS irrlelevant, leveraging browser technology ("Thin Client" being their war cry). Microsoft moved against that with everything they had, developing their .Net framework, of which C# became a central element. It's not that MS failed to produce a JAVA version, they did the same thing they did with Internet Explorer versus Netscape, and tried to snuff out JAVA (their strategy being "embrace, extend, extinguish") with J/Direct, got caught, and then had to change course to what is now C#/.Net.

So C# is so similar to JAVA because it's a direct rip-off of JAVA's better features, packaged in MS cruft (and yeah, after having coded in excess of a million lines, I don't like either. I *still* prefer object pascal, but as usual, nobody listens to what i say. Gee. I wonder why :) )

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
  4. Baste

Baste

Maybe they don't listen to what you say because you argue with a necro post in a meaningless thread?

5. csofranz

csofranz

That's only one of the reasons :)

6. Yoreki

Yoreki

Kinda curious how it happened that some person basically just created their account today and made their first post, to post an answer in a nearly 1 year old thread. Like.. why?

7. Baste

Baste

It's because it's a bot. Should have spotted it before!

@sunitapr's reply is copy-pasted from Quora, and their post includes a link that seems fishy.

AlanMattano and Yoreki like this.
  8. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Manager Unity Technologies

I think even the OP is spam - I'll lock this thread. Thanks for the reports <3

AlanMattano likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.