Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Why Is Apple M1 So Painful To Work With?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Azrael_Bathory, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Azrael_Bathory

Azrael_Bathory

Im using 2021.3.15f1 and its just agonizing... it shouldn't take 5 minutes to merge 4 poly surfaces together in ProBuilder... It shouldn't take 5 hours to make a basic AF desk.... And before people start asking or saying its my laptop, I didn't have this issue before switching to the most resent LTS. I've had nothing but slow ass performance that is quite literally causing me physical pain is the form of headaches.. Unity has become nothing but a pain in the ass to use.. I get nowhere, the current workflow that an M1 is capable of... Is pure garbage.

Is there anything I can do to fix this, or am I at the mercy of Unity actually prioritizing this? Because I've seen a tonne of post related to the M1 chip and it seems like everybody using Mac M1 is suffering the same or similar issues.. So why does it seem like this blatant issue it constantly getting put on the back-burner?

2. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I had returned my M1 despite the hardware being fantastic. Unity on M1 silicon is unusable and QA kept giving me excuses such as "we don't have a macbook air to test it on". Since Unity is a billion dollar company it is code for "strategic non-deployment", plus it matches their upcoming splash screen:

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have now reported multiple major issues about 2021.3.15f1

Imo this version should be immediately retracted from the Hub until the issues are addressed.

This is totally unacceptable situation.

Many are global issues, like problems in building Shader graph shaders and various kinds of new slow downs etc

This should not even pass a pre-Beta stage version with all those issues right of the start.

4. Azrael_Bathory

Azrael_Bathory

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way, I was worried I was over reacting a bit. But as much as I would LOVE to switch away from the evil apple empire.. I don't have the money to upgrade to a windows PC. Its just seriously unfortunate that they would sooner make half-assed excuses instead of actually finding a fix, and like you mentioned, theres no excuse or reason why a multi-million dollar company can't afford a few M1 laptops and to pay some programmers to figure out what the issues are. They can fix the same or similar problems on PC versions so why do they just straight up seem to ignore the MacOS users. I wish some Unity Devs would see the amount of people that are getting screwed around because of this.