Search Unity

Question Why hasnt Trees in Unity had their shader made compatible with URP?

Discussion in 'Graphics Dev Blitz Day 2023 - Q&A' started by sacb0y, May 24, 2023.

1. sacb0y

sacb0y

The tree creator tool in Unity is still perfectly usable, but the shader at default is not compatible with URP (and likely not hdrp I assume)

I guess unity wants people to use speed tree but it's still a nice feature that works well.

Why hasn't it been updated just to at least work normally? It's probably a barrier for some people. Thankfully lux made a shader for it but it's still an issue to use if you ever make changes to the tree.

Lars-Steenhoff and DevDunk like this.
  2. sacb0y

sacb0y

upload_2023-5-25_10-56-24.png

This in case no one knows what I'm talking about. (The red exclamation marks are a result of using a different shader for URP)

3. milifer

milifer

Unity Technologies

Glad to hear you are still finding Tree Creator useful!
    Unfortunately Tree Creator is not in active development. There are some work around solutions to resolve SRP and other issues for those who are still using the tool.

4. DevDunk

DevDunk

Is it that much work to simply remove the error and material reset when using SRP?
    It is usable, just annoying to work with because of the errors and amount of times it resets the material

milifer and mgear like this.