Search Unity

Why has this developer been allowed to sell on asset store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TechiTech, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TechiTech

TechiTech

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/5331

Why has this developer been allowed to sell on asset store without been able to speak english and having no contact information?

This developer days in chines that if I have any questions that I should email him. Well where is the contact information.

what the developer asked to supply this information when registering his product?

Do you (asset store staff) think it's ok to let sellers leave no contact information?

2. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

I would hate to see Unity limit people based on their english-speaking ability. I make english mistakes all the time, and if you read your own post, I think you will agree with me.

Should sellers be required to have contact information? Of cuorse, and they do have to leave it when they create the product. But it appears in this case the contact information was to a website, which has now changed. This asset was made over 3 years ago.

And that is the important point, this is definitely a ´buyer beware´ issue. The asset is a pretty substantial editor interface that was created THREE years ago. That right there would tell me to stay away. There are no positive comments about the product in all that time, which again is a big red flag. Add then fact that there was no contact information... so yeah, there was definitely a case of you not doing your due diligence before your purchase.

And finally in defense of all content creators.. I am sure sometimes they all make stuff that just doens´t sell... like ever.... it is hard to fault someone for forgetting something they created 3 years ago and probably hasn´t sold a copy in the past 2.5 years. Yeah, they should probably remove it and should have updated it with their new contact information..

Also, it does appear that because of a couple of recent purchases, the author has done an update that went live yesterday.

TooManySugar and theANMATOR2b like this.
  3. TechiTech

TechiTech

Yes I know of the update and the issue is still there. I'm not saying that they should speak perfect english, because most english people don't, but it is obvious to some people what I mean by that. The difference between spelling erros and not speaking a word of english.

It's not the buyers fault if they don't know who to trust on the asset store. Unity asset store admins should make it compulsory for devs to supply an email address and to confirm it. If that email address is then changed or removed the developer would be required to confirm that email address.

I would like asset store developers to comment on this issue please. If you prefer I can talk about it in twitter..

4. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

Ok, good luck. I disagree with this ´It's not the buyers fault if they don't know who to trust on the asset store.´ There were plenty of red flags with that asset. Personally, I NEVER trust anything made before Unity 5.0 unless I see a few positive reviews since that time, especially scripting and editor interface packages. Unity can´t be expected to monitor the day-to-day changes of every asset on the store, which is one of the reasons they have a review and rating section along with this forum. Community moderation.

5. TechiTech

TechiTech

so you haven't purchased an asset before Unity 5.0? really lol . oh I see you're new.. fresh new unity developer.. :) thats cute.

no one said Unity needed to monitor day-to-day changes of assets..lol.. you're not english are you? I think you're having troubles in reading english. Thats ok though. it's good that you try and learn.

Anyway it's been nice talking to you, good luck with your MMO game ;)

TooManySugar likes this.
  6. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

so depending on your ideal unity should ban all the developer which are not same country/nationality as you? you should probably understand that will make the store empty.

if you do not like assets made by people from different origin, its not an asset store problem.
    you are free to check the asset before buying it, and make your decision to buy or not.
    considering the asset store being global, localised in many different languages and a majority of people in asia not speaking in english, this is fine.
    this publisher does have a contact information, but unfortunately he is not from your country ( this can happen sometime) so you do not understand.

TooManySugar likes this.
  7. TechiTech

TechiTech

@damien where did you see me saying they have to be the country/nationality as me?

You say "should probably understand that will make the store empty" please tell me where you've seen the data that shows which nationality the developers are? I would love to know..

what does him not having contact information have to do with him being from another country?

Thanks for your time and helping keep this post alive :D

8. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

so what is your problem exactly ? people not speaking same language as your ?

because this developer do have a contact through his website.

9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Like other stores, it should be mandatory for it to be translated in order to be sold in a target country. I do not presume to know why Unity hasn't done this (although they may help for some high profile assets) but I would imagine it's on their to-do. You might want to create a suggestion for it people can vote on?

one_one likes this.
  10. TechiTech

TechiTech

If you read what I wrote you will understand clearly Damien.

Now I ask you. whats your problem?
    why are you trying to put words in my mouth?

11. TechiTech

TechiTech

at last someone can read english properly ;)

"You might want to create a suggestion for it people can vote on?"
    Thats a good idea

Thanks hippocoder

12. TechiTech

TechiTech

Read my post and you should be able to clearly understand what my problem is. I know french is you first language so I dont expect you to get it..

13. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

No, what I said is that whenever Unity does a major update, like going from Unity 4 to Unity 5, you should always be cautious about buying assets that were made prior to the Unity update. In your case, you bought an editor asset made for Unity 3, and expected it to work smoothly in Unity 5. This is very unlikely for anything that involves scripting or the editor.

Again, this was your fault for not checking the reviews, checking when the asset was last updated, and if it is so important to you, the nationality of the person who made the asset. You could have done all of those things BEFORE you bought the asset. Instead you cry. It is funny, you are the one here crying, yet you are attacking people who are correcting you.

I buy a ton of stuff, both before and after 5.0, and I never have any issues because I actually read about the asset and do 2 minutes of research. When I buy something that is heavy scripting or an editor add-on, I certainly make sure they have a support email or a forum thread BEFORE I buy it... but nah, that takes too much work, easier to just cry after the fact, right?

TooManySugar likes this.
  14. TechiTech

TechiTech

lol cry you say Carve !! you make me laugh.. You're the one crying. You're here in this post trying to get back at me because I said to you in another thread that you should show a little more respect towards a developer. Yes I remember and I've always known since you posted in here. lol Busted!!

So who is the one crying? You actually followed me waiting for me to post something so you could try to give me a hard time lol

Oh and for your information I was the one who wrote the bad review on the product. And although the product was made a long time ago, it still has been updated. So you can drop all the crap because its only making you look desperate.

I'm sure anyone reading your posts will think why are you so determined to insult me.. it's kind of freaky.. now they know.. you're actually stalking me. I mean really. Did I shame you up so bad that you spend all this time trying to manipulate me? Think about it.. what is my thread about? have you forgotten? you're so caught up in getting revenge that you probably don't even know what this thread is about.

If what I'm saying about this dev is wrong then what you're saying is that asset store developers should not be required to supply contact information.. really is that correct? because thats wrong in so many ways. Also you're happy with asset store developers to reply to you in chinese?

Do you think by your logic you would be right?
    If you say you say yes then you're clearly wrong.. and then you're just left with your agenda all a long.

Agenda
    What made carve become obsessed with this. Well it's simple, carve has been crying for days because I said to him in another thread that he should show the developer a little more respect because carve you did insult him and his company.

Now carve you will probably feel embarrassed after reading this but you did ask for it. You kept on going and now you're left with shame!!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  15. BornGodsGame

BornGodsGame

To sum up advice on how not to be an idiot and lose money

1. Do not buy stuff from 3 years ago that involves scripting or the editor.
    2. Do not buy stuff from 3 years ago that does not have any reviews in the last 2.5 years
    3. Do not buy stuff from 3 years ago if the link to the sellers support page is broken or no longer leads to an actual support page.
    4. Do not buy stuff from 3 years ago if it´s ´popularity´ is on the very last page of it´s category.

? I don´t remember you from another thread, I know the thread you are talking about though. But had no idea you had posted in there. I just noticed the title of this thread and checked it out. Always good to learn which assets don´t work before spending money.. right?

All is good. Enjoy your asset, maybe you should learn Mandarin. :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2015
  16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

We're done here.

Kiwasi and Ony like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.