Search Unity

Why has my Cardboard app suddenly gone wonky?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by JoeStrout, Apr 19, 2018.

1. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I've been building Cardboard apps just fine for the last week and a half, but today when I put a fresh build on my iOS 11 phone, I got this:

IMG_6967.PNG

Note how the images use only about 2/3 of the screen; they used to extend to the full height. This even applies (in fact, even more so) to the thin white dividing line between the views. And note too how the left eye is looking at the right side of the pond, while the right eye is looking at the left side of the pond, at angles so divergent that there is literally nothing that's visible in both views.

I've tried using the gear button to re-select my viewer, scanning the Cardboard icon on the side, but it made no difference. I've quit and restarted the app; no dice. I'm at a loss.

Has anybody seen anything like this before? What could cause it, and how do I fix it?

2. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

This happens if you start in Portrait mode and then switch to VR before rotating to landscape. The Google Cardboard engine doesn't handle this scenario well and this is usually the result. Google is working on this issue and I have no idea as to when that will be resolved.

For now, just make sure that you rotate your phone completely before going to VR. You might also be able to wait for rotation to complete before you enable VR though I don't have any examples of how to do that at this time.

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Huzzah! In fact it appears that what was different today, vs. earlier this week, is that my phone today happened to have Orientation Lock on. It didn't even occur to me that that might matter (but it kinda makes sense that it does).

Thank you for clearing this up! I'll look for some way to at least detect the problem, but at least now I know what to do (and what to tell users if they complain).