Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Why doesn't the Hub have a latest version notification and update process?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Arowx, Sep 12, 2019.

1. Arowx

Arowx

Current Experience Open Hub > Installs > Add - Check List > Select New Version > Next > Install - then Uninstall old version. (>6 Clicks)

Ideal Experience Open Hub > Get Notification of Latest Versions with Update Button > Update. (1 Click)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don't_Make_Me_Think

Kondor0, MFG-jkhoo and Neogene like this.
  2. Gigacee

Gigacee

That's exactly what I was going to say!!!!!!!
    plz notification!!!!!!!!!!

3. joshcamas

joshcamas

I would also like a notification. The current notification system (the one built into the engine) is out of date, since it's separate from the Hub. Would make sense to move it from the engine to the hub.

4. CaseyHofland

CaseyHofland

Good to see I don't have to make my own thread for this - my feedback exactly!

Though I'm against uninstalling the old version without me explicitly saying so, since first off I sometimes juggle several projects at once and I want to upgrade them on my own time, and secondly, I want to fix bugs in my project before I upgrade the project itself.

I also have a couple more suggestions on how I would like this to work:
    1. Upgrade messages for versions I already own - e.g. 2019.2.8f1 > 2019.2.9f1
    2. New Version messages for new versions - e.g. 2019.3.0f1
    3. Option to ignore Upgrade messages for versions - e.g. 2019.1.0f1
    4. Option to get messages about Beta or Alpha versions - beta checked per default?
    5. Instead of option 1, 2 and 3, you can write a small piece of syntax for when you want to get notified:

2019.x.[5n]f!x = Of version 2019, every major release, every 5th minor release, ignore every final release.

Perhaps a bit overkill, but we're brainstorming :3