Search Unity

Why doesn't my optimization do anything?

Discussion in '2D' started by Cjreek, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Cjreek

Cjreek

Hi,

I'm generating a random dungeon from a set of rooms. (just started this project)
    My framerate is okay right now but the game also isn't doing much for now.
    I thought I'd add a little optimization so that only the rooms near the player are rendered.
    (look at the screenshot. You can see the colliders of the hidden rooms).
    But this seems to do nothing.
    My framerate stays at about 750-800 (depending on the position and the amount of lights I'm facing at the moment).

Why?

$dungeon.png

2. Pyrian

Pyrian

Two thoughts:

First, are you using any significant amount of rendering time, anyway? Try a baseline where you don't render anything. You might not see any optimization because you weren't using any noticeable amount of processor .

Second, were those rooms actually on-screen and getting rendered? If they weren't, explicitly not rendering them may not improve much over the engine's own optimizations.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

anything over 60fps starts becoming unreliable as a measurement, while the TRUE measurement is actually millisecs. The higher your framerate, the more it can fluctuate, for example a game running at 1000fps will fluctuate wildly with 200fps more or less, while a game running at 30fps will probably fluctuate within 1fps.

It's just an example, but don't bother measuring performance by framerate if its 60-120fps. There's no point, just use millisecs.

In your case you're probably limited by how fast your cpu is, and your gpu doesn't see the difference. Just make the game, this is just fooling around at this point with pointless optimisation.