Search Unity

Why does uity doule the vert count on mesh?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by tawdry, Dec 14, 2017.

1. tawdry

tawdry

Hi
    I have a 35k vert mesh but in unity it is over 70k all i have in scene is the mesh and the fps controller no lights no terrain even so whats the reason behind the double verts?

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

I think a number of things could be causing this.

If you used an automatic unwrapper to do the UVs, and the faces were generated as islands, each UV has its own set of those vertices, regardless of if they share a position on the map.

In your import settings in Unity, if you're calculating normals you might also be generating extra verts. Generally, hard edges (like flat-shaded models) require duplication of otherwise sharded vertices. So if you don't need those polygon faces, bump your smoothing angle up and reimport, see if that makes a difference.

3. tawdry

tawdry

Ok I see the problem I have 2 cameras the one is set up to view a far way out and only a specific thing in this case a mountain.But the other camera even when i set is distance to 1 unit was still doubling the count I just had to deselect the layer for the mountains and now its fine but not sure why the camera was doubling the count when it would not have been rendering it.